Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Nov 18, 2009, 12:27 PM

"This" means withhold on the interest amount.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Five Rings contention that the foreign bank would NOT tolerate the withholding is my point on this matter.

That is why I HOPE the IRS will state that withholding is NOT required if the amount withhled is not expected to exceed a set amount, say $10,000.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 10:59 AM

One of the reasons that you cannot rely on IRS advice and IRS publications is that the IRS does not make the law. Therefore, even if you could get someone at the IRS to state that you don't need to withhold or file, if the law requires withholding and filing, then you must withhold and file.

With regard to withholding, if you pay interest of $1,000 to a foreign bank and are required to withhold $300 (30%) of the payment, I would think that making the full payment of $1,000 to the foreign bank and also making a payment of $300 to the U.S. government to cover the withholding would likely meet your U.S. tax withholding obligation, and the foreign bank should be fine with this.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Nov 19, 2009, 11:07 AM

Agree with IntlTax.

Technically speaking, the payment of the tax by the withholding agent may require gross-up (in essence, the payment of the tax constitutes income to the recipient). See 1.1441-3.

Nov 19, 2009, 03:08 PM

Yeah well, I don't think the foreign bank would consider 30% or the treaty rate of their income paid to a foreign government as payment in full of their mortgage contract; what planet are you guys coming from?

As to my request from the IRS I am not contacting the hot line; I have gone somewhat higher up the food chain than that. I have requested authority. So far nothing from that end.
    Tax Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 03:11 PM

Five Rings, I think you need to re-read my post. "if you pay interest of $1,000 to a foreign bank and.. . [make] the full payment of $1,000 to the foreign bank.. . " Why would the bank be upset about getting its full payment?

Nov 19, 2009, 03:21 PM

You are so right, I misread the post.

Now, you have this person paying say, $500/month. Now he adds an additional $1,800 a year. Depending on his financial circumstances this may be intolerable. What to do, what to do?
    I have a general idea of what he will do.
    kradeso Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 11:16 AM

Five Rings... any news from your contacts in the IRS?

I am still undecided w/ regards to my original question whether to amend '06 and '07 returns. I am still torn as to the spirit and letter of the regs/law. Though it looks like the majority of you appear to be favoring the withholding (10% as per the US-India tax treaty) on my end as well as claiming the deduction.

Thanks to all (IntlTax, AtlantaTaxExpert, TexasTaxExpert and FiveRings) for your rigor in debating this issue.

Nov 25, 2009, 01:41 PM

Kradeso,
    The silence is deafening from the IRS; most unusual.

We all appreciate your circumstances and the difficulty this situation presents as well as your thoughtfulness for the efforts made on your behalf.

Give us a little more time to resolve this.

I wish you and my colleagues here a very happy Thanksgiving.
    kradeso Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2009, 12:50 PM

Hi... just wanted to check back in to see if there was any additional clarity from the IRS (Five Rings?) or any of the other experts involved in this string.

Thanks,
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 10:01 AM
    In my opinion, the IRS is in "holiday" mode and we will hear nothing from them prior to next month.
    bhasi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2010, 05:10 AM

Thoughtful discussion, I would like to see what IRS has to say on this issue.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2010, 10:27 PM
    We are still waiting.
    bhasi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 10:06 PM
    ATE do you handle clients outside Georgia? I'm in Portland, OR.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 10:52 AM
    Absolutely. I have prepared returns for clients in every state of the United States plus multiple foreign countries.

Contact me at [email protected].
    mps1979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Rings View Post
    Kradeso,
    The silence is deafening from the IRS; most unusual.

We all appreciate your circumstances and the difficulty this situation presents as well as your thoughtfulness for the efforts made on your behalf.

Give us a little more time to resolve this.

I wish you and my colleagues here a very happy Thanksgiving.
    Me too sailing in the same boat.. Any news yet experts! Five Rings, ATE. INTLTAX... others...
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Still no answer; I will email Five Rings to see if he has heard anything and urge him to post if he has!
    Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 03:13 PM

U.S. tax law and IRS publications clearly require that 30% must be withheld on interest paid by U.S. resident individuals to foreign banks unless a treaty applies and the individual has received a Form W-8BEN from the foreign bank prior to the payment. Form 1042 is used to report the interest payment and the tax withheld.

I believe that both Five Rings and Texas Tax Expert agree with this. I am not sure if ATE agrees. The only item outstanding seems to be an inquiry by Five Rings to an IRS official as to whether they also agree.

Since there has been no response, if you are a U.S. resident individual that has paid interest to a foreign bank, unless you have received a Form W-8BEN from the recipient bank prior to payment of the interest, or you have received specific advice from a tax professional hired by you that indicates that you do not need to file Form 1042 and withhold, I recommend that you file Form 1042 and withhold.
    maheshksp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 10:28 PM
    Hi Kradeso,
    I am also looking for an answer for the query you have posted in this thread. Please could you share your findings or any information which would be useful in this regards.

Appreciate your help !

Thanks,

Mar 30, 2010, 04:14 AM

I support IntlTax on his position.

That notwithstanding, it is extremely important to consult the treaty on this. For example, in the Hungarian treaty Art. 10,
    1. Interest arising in a Contracting State and paid to a resident of the other Contracting State shall
    Be taxable only in that other State.

Thus withholding is entirely contingent on the treaty provision governing interest.

No treaty or a treaty provision giving the US the right to tax and it looks like 30% or a lesser treaty rate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign mortgage interest deduction [ 11 Answers ]

Hi We are naturalized US citizens and have a question on our secondary home mortgage interst deduction . We took loan to build a seconday home in foreign country ( where we born) . The enteir loan was processed on tha country and they don't have any branches in US. All the payment will...

Foreign Mortgage Interest Deduction [ 1 Answers ]

HELLO, I am a retired teacher living in Ireland. I own a pprimary home and a holiday home in Ireland. I am aware that my mortgage interest is deductible on my IRS form I submit from Ireland. The question is: My mortgage interest is just about equal to my U.S. pension. That is the only income...

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Payment to Foreign Lender [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I have a query, I have gone through previous posts but somehow felt I have not got all the answers I wanted. Need your help here: 1) I have a mortgage in India from an Indian Bank who doesn't have a branch in the US 2) I work in the US and remit the monthly payments...

Property tax and mortgage interest foreign 2nd home [ 2 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen considering purchasing recreational property (2nd home) in Canada. May I itemize the property taxes that I pay to Canada as well as any interest paid on the mortgage?

Tax Deduction for Foreign Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

If I borrow money from a foreign lender for a property in the U.S. can I get income tax deduction for the mortgage interest I paid to the foreign bank? Thanks,

View more questions Search