Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heartshinegirl Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2009, 11:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Lining View Post
    Google gave me those details,,, i am always stuck to google.

let me repeat, i NEVER mentioned to be fully vegetarian. i said 1:3 ratio. Selective reading is not an option for arguments.

Your body needs all kinds of nutrients. its found in both veg and non-veg food. depending on how you are brought up, your body gets adjusted to that particular diet. non-vegetarians are adjusted to non-veg food and hence the 1:3 ratio, so that you dont lose vital nutrients that is required.. as for raw vegetables and fruits, i hope you know that vegetables when boiled, lose half their nutrients. that's why, eat them raw.
    Oh, and P.S.

High amounts of protein is not healthy... it's actually super bad for our bodies, look up how it can damage our organs. And if you're not eating like a vegetarian would then you are most likely getting TOO MUCH PROTEIN. Consider a normal "Eaters" diet, add up the amount of protein they get, if they are 155 pounds and should get only about 55 grams of protein they are more than likely getting twice that much if not more... and that is NOT good.

Here are some links:

BBC News | HEALTH | High protein diet warning

High-protein diets: Are they safe? - MayoClinic.com

Nov 15, 2009, 11:40 PM

I agree with Eileen, Vegetarians get enough Protein. I've done extensive research on this. Us "Normal" eaters (those that eat everything under the sun) actually get way too much protein. My boyfriend who eats Vegetarian and only has fish, gets over 150 grams of protein per day and that is three times what he needs, but he's a bodybuilder too. So, he does use more. If we're not body building, and we want to be thin... eating as a Vegetarian with some meat (your choice) You will get enough. We've done research and on days when he eats no meat at all, he still gets approximately 77 grams of protein just from eating Vegan diet.

So, do not believe that you have to eat animals to be healthy. Have you compared the bodies of a Vegan to a meat eater? Most Vegans have amazingly beautiful healthy skin, big bright healthy eyes, and slim bodies... they are very healthy.

Most of us who eat meat are overweight... not all of us... but most. I love the whole idea of going Vegan though. I honestly do. If it can make me healthier, than why not?
    Silver Lining Posts: 374, Reputation: 36
    -

Nov 16, 2009, 12:49 AM

Hi Heartshinegirl,,

According to Eileen, vegetarians DO NOT get enough protein.

Nov 16, 2009, 01:21 AM

Yes but if you look at what she is posting, it contradicts what she is saying... she's actually showed proof of the opposite of what she's saying... if those foods have that much protein and you eat properly you will actually easily reach 55 grams of protein a day. :) This is the contradiction.

Nov 16, 2009, 01:23 AM
    Check the protein content of these foods and add them up for yourself, do you think it's easy to get 55 grams of protein a day if you're vegetarian... here's the link:

Protein in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

Table 1: Sample Menus Showing How Easy It Is To Meet Protein Needs

Protein (grams)
    Breakfast: 1 cup Oatmeal 6
    1 cup Soymilk 7
    1 Bagel 9
    Lunch: 2 slices Whole Wheat Bread 5
    1 cup Vegetarian Baked Beans 12
    Dinner: 5 oz firm Tofu 11
    1 cup cooked Broccoli 4
    1 cup cooked Brown Rice 5
    2 Tbsp Almonds 4
    Snack: 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter 8
    6 Crackers 2
    TOTAL 73 grams
    Protein Recommendation for Male Vegan [based on 0.8-1 gram of protein per kilogram body weight for 70 kilogram (154 pound) male] 56-70 grams

Breakfast: 2 slices Whole Wheat Toast 5
    2 Tbsp Peanut Butter 8
    Lunch: 6 oz. Soy Yogurt 6
    2 Tbsp Almonds 4
    1 Baked Potato 4
    Dinner: 1 cup cooked Lentils 18
    1 cup cooked Bulgur 6
    Snack: 1 cup Soymilk 7
    TOTAL 58 grams
    Protein Recommendation for Female Vegan [based on 0.8-1 gram of protein per kilogram body weight for 57.5 kilogram (126 pound) female] 46-58 grams

Additional food should be added to these menus to provide adequate calories and to meet requirements for nutrients besides protein.
    -

Nov 16, 2009, 01:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by heartshinegirl View Post
    Yes but if you look at what she is posting, it contradicts what she is saying...she's actually showed proof of the opposite of what she's saying... if those foods have that much protein and you eat properly you will actually easily reach 55 grams of protein a day. :) This is the contradiction.
    I agree,
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    There is a huge body of research showing the benefits of oily fish for cardiovascular health.
    Actually, what is the healthy thing about fish is the Omega 3 in it. If you take oily fish, that contains fat as well.

If you want to have removed oil from the oily fish(fired), you have boiled, steamed, baked, etc which will still contain the Omega 3, but with less fat.

So Silver lining has given a good advice on 'don not eat oily fish'.
    -

Nov 16, 2009, 04:24 AM

Thank you unknown 008
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 05:49 AM

I was a vegetarian for 20 years. I was a fit and healthy one, I did the Maracycle every year. But I was very definitely overweight. It was only when I started eating meat again, and dropping all the grains I had been eating that I was able to lose a significant amount of weight.

So yes, I know you can have a great vegetarian diet. But I also know from experience that you won't do it eating nothing but fruit and vegetables, and that it is not automatically the answer to losing weight.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 06:14 AM

Eileen g disagrees with unknown...

I checked it out,I'm learning a lot on this thread,oily fish holds omega 3 in the flesh AND the fat..

Food that is High in Omega-3
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 06:54 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G disagrees
    The Omega 3 is IN the fat. Remove the fat and you also remove the Omega 3
    What, when you fry fish, you use Cooking Oil with Omega 3?

What is that?

The naturally occurring oil are in fairly low amount, so boiling, steaming, baking don't add additional oil, and leaves the Omega 3 in the fish.

Nov 16, 2009, 12:55 PM

I know a lot of vegetarians that are overweight, but they eat a lot of the wrong foods. They still eat sweets, and have lots of things they shouldn't if they want to be fit. For example, donuts, pies, cakes, cookies... all not good. When I suggested to eat like a Vegetarian I was suggesting that the majority of your foods be from grains, beans, vegetables, fruits and yes, I added in Fish rather than cheese, milk, eggs, chicken, pork, beef because Fish is the only one of those that is actually going to help your heart and lower your fat intake. When wanting to lose weight you need to consider the foods you eat. Whether Vegetarian or not. Eating a lot of food is the biggest problem with being overweight. Many people eat way too much, and don't even realize it. The amount of food on a normal plate in a restaurant is actually enough food to feed 3 people. But, we don't see it. We eat until our stomachs are full, and until we are fully satisfied most of the time. This is not the way to eat. Snacking is out of control too! Many of us eat as a reward, give ourselves something nice for all of our hard work... If people actually looked at everything they ate, worked out all the calories, added up all the fat, sugar and salt they'd realize that reason they are overweight is because they are taking in two to three times the amount of daily calories that they need. We all just EAT way too much. Even those of us who think they barely eat, just don't have any idea of the amount of calories they are taking in.

It cannot hurt you to eat Vegetarian if you are smart, and eating healthy-good-for-you foods. If you're just eating carrot sticks all day then yes, you are going to have a problem.

Limiting pastas and breads will lower the calories, but you still should have your grains. Eating healthy in my opinion means to watch what you put in your mouth. Thing about it, if it's really good for your body, packed with nutrients, low in fat, high in fiber then you will be healthy!

Going Vegetarian and loading up on pasta and white breads and oil sauces over salads is not going to help any.

Research! Pay attention to your foods, and be healthy. But most importantly make sure your diet is filled with foods you actually like.

There's no point on going on a diet of foods that you have never had before and don't particularly enjoy. If you don't like fish, then of course eating it won't be enjoyable.

These are just my suggestions... and I have done research and have actually witnessed first hand the amazing body transformations that can be achieved by following this advice.

:)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 01:23 PM

I don't think this thread is helping the OP anymore. It's turned from trying to give her some tips on healthy eating habits to a debate over the benefits of being a vegetarian or not. The OP is not a vegetarian. She stated that chicken is part of her diet. She never gave us any indication that she has any interest in becoming a vegetarian. And please correct me if I'm missing something, but the OP never came back to this thread with any follow up comments or questions.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    What, when you fry fish, you use Cooking Oil with Omega 3?

What is that?

The naturally occuring oil are in fairly low amount, so boiling, steaming, baking don't add additional oil, and leaves the Omega 3 in the fish.
    I either bake fish or cook with extra virgin olive oil (full of Omega 9).
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    I either bake fish or cook with extra virgin olive oil (full of Omega 9).
    Well, you can do what you like. I was only saying that you can be veg, but still that is not a 'bad' diet compared to non-veg. You have many naturally occurring oils that contain omega-3 (flaxseed oil), omega-6 (sunflower oil) and omega-9 (olive oil) like you just said in your post, but that doesn't mean that you have to take oily fish in order to have them.:rolleyes:
    araina Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 10:41 AM

Hey guys!
    Thanks a lot for removing time and answering my questions!

I have taken tips from all the comments and working out a new routine!will let you all know how it goes.
    Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2009, 10:45 AM

Right, let us know how everything goes on :)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 11:03 AM

I'm glad you found it all helpful. I was worried it was getting too far from the original question. Glad to know it still helped you though

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 17 and overweight. [ 8 Answers ]

So I am 17, I am 5'5" and I weigh 200 pounds. My mom is a doctor and I have talked to her and some of her colleagues and they don't think it is a thyroid problem or anything like that. Although at one point mom tested me to make sure because I had similar symptoms but everything came back fine. ...

Am I overweight? [ 4 Answers ]

I am just wondering if I am MEDICALLY considered overweight, and not just by someone's opinion. I am 21, Five foot ten and three quarters inch tall, and I weigh 225 pounds, and I'm a guy, if that matters.

Dog is overweight [ 7 Answers ]

What is the best dog food for my very overweight golden lab/retriever mix?

Am I overweight [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 14 and I'm 10 stone 3 pounds. I have a lot of visible fat and everyone at school keeps calling me fat. On top of that I'm trying to ask this girl out at school but I think that she will prefer a healthier me. But I have asthma and whenever I work out I nearly kill myself. Does anyone have any...

View more questions Search