Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgliss01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Free money for ex offenders if they go to college
    I heard that if you go to college that you may get free money from the government to pay your living expenses. I am wondering where do I start this process.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 01:02 PM

It's called financial aid. You apply to school. You'll need to fil out the FAFSA, and probably more paperwork for the school. You'll send the FAFSA in. (you can talk with the financial aid office, they can help you figure out all of the details. Some schools even have workshops to help you through it). There's a lot of guidelines for what you have to do once you get financial aid. The aid you get is based on how many units you are taking, and how much money you make (they call it the expected family contribution or something like that). You have to maintain a certain GPA. And the aid generally does not cover all of your living expenses. For me, at community college, I'm a full time student and I get a little over $1,000 a semester in addition to a fee waiver. I use part of that money to pay for things like my parking permit at school and for books (it takes so long to get the disbursement it's usually more like reimbursing whoever lent me money for books at the beginning of the semester.) and then what is left over after all that can be applied towards living expenses. I'm currently waiting for the rest of this semester's disbursement to use to pay for some dental work. The last disbursement I used for books and groceries, and gas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

College education for free with a FELONY [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if there was any way that someone can go to college for free with a felony on your record.. I heard there were specific grants or scholarships but i don't know where to find any of this... Suggestions?? :confused: :D

Free college for everyone. Bad idea? [ 179 Answers ]

I heard Obama say that he wants to provide free college to every American. I think it's a terrible idea. He would spend gadzillions of our money, and when everyone has a college degree, those grads will be flippin burgers and hanging onto garbage trucks. We will have come full circle and wasted who...

College money [ 2 Answers ]

For a student with no credit and a parent with bad credit, what is the best way to get college paid for with out any hassels or red tape? Time is of the essence. I need proven info that is guaranteed to work. Need help right away! Thanks!!

View more questions Search