Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Field dressing a deer?
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips or helpful advice on field dressing a deer?
    Any videos or pictures would be helpful.

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 10:09 AM

If you Google 'field dressing a deer', adam_89, you will come up with enough information to become a first rate butcher. Videos included on YouTube in Google. I don't envy you the job. The first and last time I did one was 7 years ago.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    If you google 'field dressing a deer', adam_89, you will come up with enough information to become a first rate butcher. Videos included on YouTube in google. I dont envy you the job. The first and last time I did one was 7 years ago.

tick
    I tried that before I came here I was just trying to get personal experience. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for there. I will just look for it later.

Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 12:04 PM

Sorry Adam, I can't help you. I'm not a hunter, don't know anyone that is.

Your best bet is to find someone that's done this before, learn from experience.

I know that it's not easy to field dress a deer, there are many things, that if done incorrectly, can spoil the meat.

I can't believe I'm talking about this. Bambi! That's what I'm thinking about! ;)
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 01:11 PM

I am sorry Alty. Don't make me think about Bambi. I never heard the story of Bambi or watched the movie but wasn't it about her mother being killed?

I have actually talked to a guy at my work a little bit ago who is a big hunter and he does everything himself from the kill to putting it in his freezer. He said if he got one he would show me or if I got one he would show me. Now I just found out that my cousin will help me too. Nobody wanted to help earlier so I was going to try myself. If anyone has anything still, I would appreciate it in case I am stuck doing it myself.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2009, 05:08 PM

Darn Adam, why couldn't you have asked this earlier lol

I used to work with a butcher that went out and shot his own deer, I don't have his number anymore though so I can't ask him!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 05:30 PM
    I've cleaned hundreds, but never have I tried to give "written" instructions. So here it goes.

Gutting.

The best way is to hang it, by the antlers, or by the neck. Start the cut around the breastbone, being very careful as to not cut into the stomach or intestines. Place your hand, the opposite hand, not the knife hand, using two fingers to pull the hide clear from the insides. Cut all the way down to the groin. Cut the sternum with shears, or a hatchet/machete, etc. Reach up into the neck and cut the esophagus and pull the insides out.

If it's a trophy deer, be sure not to cut to high up on the hide, as to not damage the "nape".

If your are planning on skinning the deer, cut around the legs and neck, and pull down while using a knife to ease the process. Remove the ribs, and backbone. The best meat,the filet mignon, is along the spine. Take care in removing this meat. Cut the front and rear quarters into appropriate pieces.

Here is a video: YouTube - How to Clean a Deer, Part 1

Maybe I should video the next one I clean.

Most hunters don't like to clean their deer. I process them here at the house myself. I have a grinder and cuber. We also make sausage.

Killing a deer is easy. Cleaning and processing them is work. Once you get the hang of it, it's not bad at all. Remember to keep your knives very sharp, and to always keep your knife hand clean and dry. My grandaddy was a butcher, and that was one of his rules.

Good luck and happy hunting.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 05:35 PM

Jm, man of many talents. Who would have thought with your quiet exterior personality that you had a deeper personality, one of a hunter, deer dresser, and all around good guy. My hat is off to you, jm, you are still my hero and always will be. We must trade deer dressing tales one of these days.

Tick
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    jm, man of many talents. Who would have thought with your quiet exterior personality that you had a deeper personality, one of a hunter, deer dresser, and all around good guy. My hat is off to you, jm, you are still my hero and always will be. We must trade deer dressing tales one of these days.

tick
    Whoever said I had a "quiet exterior personality"?

My wife just choked on her supper!

I am a hunter to the core. However I hunt and fish for food only. Fish and game belong on a plate. I do not kill anything I do not eat. Well, coyotes are a big problem here. I don't eat THEM.
    sprtrmpcnsltng Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 05:44 PM

Is it a buck or a doe?

With a buck you need to watch the scrotum so as not to puncture the urine tract and infect your meat.

Field dressing implies doing it in the field so I don't know that hanging is an option for you. We always do it, literally in the field on the ground.

You need a SHARP knife, hacksaw or other saw to cut the breast bone, stick or something to spread the chest cavity, gloves as deer blood has disease in it, paper-towels.

Make an incision in the pubic area, slicing under the skin and fat, but not poking to deep.

Take your weak hand and with the first and second finger create a guide and place your knife sharp side up. Slowly and carefully cut using your guide up to the breast bone, exposing the innards.

Once you get to the breast bone you need to take your saw and cut that.

Take your stick and keep the chest cavity open. Sever the esophogus (Sp?) and pull it down. THis should pull heart lungs etc. out with no fuss. YOu will probably have to cut it up high.

Never baged a trophy so can't tell you about protecting the nape other than you need to if you are mounting it.

After you pull everything out, get your papertowels and wipe all the blood out.

A lot of people slit the throat to bleed it I never have and never plan too.

Once it is field dressed then you can either take it to a processor or butcher it yourself.

Hope that helps
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 07:17 PM

Yes most first common mistake is cutting too deep.

I do the deer like we do pigs, and slit the throats ( you want the deer hung up if possible.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 08:10 PM

I'm going to be sick. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Good italian dressing recipe? [ 1 Answers ]

I am sooo tired of the italian dressings in the grocery store. I rarely use italian dressing but when I do I shake the bottle and before I can even start to pour it the oil is already separated and back on the top. I end up with a hoagie full of oil and no dressing. I have to pour half the bottle...

Cross dressing [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a 30yr male, but I like to ware lady's underware since I'm 14yr. The problem is I'm still interesting with female(sometimes I want to be female too). Am I having a will to be a transsexual? Or is that can't be agree a man waring lady's underware?

Caesar dressing [ 4 Answers ]

I have done some reading on what kinds of food you are not suppose to eat while pregnant. I read that you aren't suppose to eat caesar dressing or the cheese dip Mexican places serve. Is this true or is this overboard? Supposedly caesar dressing contains egg and the Mexican dip is a soft cheese....

Dressing etiquettes [ 2 Answers ]

I have to give a presentation on dressing etiquettes... if someone can help..

View more questions Search