Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canary Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Fireplace repair
    Hi I have a wood burning fireplace and the firestone inside the fireplace is all cracked and broken. I removed all the stones completely and I want to build a new firestone base and wall. How can I do this myself? Is it easy and safe for me to do it myself? How do I get started on this and what should I do? Thanks for your advice and help.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 05:55 PM

A pic would be very helpful.
    Questions

1.Is this actual Stone in the Fire "Box" or brick maybe yellow.

2. What damper set up do you have.

This usually isn't a DIY project for a couple of reasons. One is Inspection of the unit for possible problems Behind the Fire box.

Another is the "Roll" of the back of the fireplace needs to be properly done for the flow of the flames/gas/smoke

Some pics would help here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace repair [ 22 Answers ]

I have a 3 yr old home with a fireplace that while poking wood we stabbed a crack in the back "fake brick" piece in the back. Now the crack is getting bigger. How do I fix this, is it a fire hazard?

Fireplace gas line replacement/repair [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas line t=(that helps start) to my wood burning fireplace that is broken off at the tip in the fireplace itself, I would like to change it for a new one. How do I remove the current one and replace it with a new one? It doesn't seem like it should be all that hard.

Fireplace repair [ 3 Answers ]

I am renovating a house, the previous owners used the fireplace often. The mortar between some of the bricks has broken away. Is this a simple repair, and what type of mortar should be used.

Fireplace repair [ 1 Answers ]

My fireplace has small cracks in the bottom of the concrete . Do I have to take out all the concrete and replace it or can I just put some refactory cement over the crackes? I use the fireplace a lot in the winter and go through 2 to 3 metal racks a year thank you for any help you can give.

Fireplace repair/replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if this should be here or in the construction forum but... We have a brick fireplace on our house that is spalling. The prior owner painted the brick with regular housepaint instead of masonry paint so the bricks could breathe. There are some cracked fire bricks in the back of the...

View more questions Search