Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 12:33 PM
    Climate - facts can be so inconvenient
    "The average October temperature of 50.8°F was 4.0°F below the 20th Century average and ranked as the 3rd coolest based on preliminary data."
    State of the Climate | National Overview | October 2009
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Was the Goracle doing a world tour again ?

This colder autumn coincides with the solar minimum. VU2SGW: Solar Minimum continues :

The Goracle just announced that his new company 'Blood and Gore '
    http://www.socialfunds.com/news/article.cgi/1568.html
    Is preparing to begin selling sun spot credits .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 02:03 PM

Hello George:

If you had terminal cancer, the FACT that you may happen to feel better for a day or two, does NOT mean that you'll get well.

One months worth of temperature readings doesn't mean anything either.

excon
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 10, 2009, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello George:

If you had terminal cancer, the FACT that you may happen to feel better for a day or two, does NOT mean that you'll get well.

One months worth of temperature readings doesn't mean anything either.

excon
    On the other hand, if you were a hypochondriac, the days in which you felt well would simply be more motivation for angst, despite there being absolutely nothing wrong with you. You would continue to ccomplain about nothing.

Several years of a cooling trend mean that we're not going through global warming, even when you insist that we are.

Elliot
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Several years of a cooling trend mean that we're not going through global warming, even when you insist that we are.
    Hello again, Elliot:

Nahhh. I'm not a global warming dude. I'm also not an ANTI global warming dude. I don't know if it's real any more than you. But, ultimately, it doesn't matter. Because, what I AM, is a not throwing your trash into the air dude.

Now, I don't know what that does, but I KNOW it doesn't do any good. So, whether global warming is real or not, who cares? Just stop throwing your trash into the air, and even if global warming is a hoax, we're going to be BETTER off WITHOUT the trash in the air, aren't we??

Dude!

excon

Nov 10, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Elliot:

Nahhh. I'm not a global warming dude. I'm also not an ANTI global warming dude. I dunno if it's real any more than you. But, ultimately, it doesn't matter. Because, what I AM, is a not throwing your trash into the air dude.

Now, I dunno what that does, but I KNOW it doesn't do any good. So, whether global warming is real or not, who cares? Just stop throwing your trash into the air, and even if global warming is a hoax, we're gonna be BETTER off WITHOUT the trash in the air, right???

Dude!

excon
    Define "trash".

Until you can do that, we aren't speaking the same language.

Government has defined carbon dioxide as "trash". But it isn't, and we shouldn't stop producing it just because they say so. The same is true of methane.

So... if by "trash" you mean CO2 and Methane, you are just wrong... there ain't nothing wrong with throwing it in the air. In fact we NEED it in the air or we die.

On the other hand, if you are referring to stuff that really IS trash, then we are in agreement, it would be better to not throw it into the air, and we ought to stop.

So please, define "trash".

I know, I know, you can't, because you don't know, and you don't care to bother learning. You just know that the air looks smoggy, and therefore the stuff in the air must be trash. That's what you've said in the past.

They call that an assumption. And you know what they say about "assume".

It's possible that the stuff in the air is just dust and sand. It might be smoke from a forest fire. It might be fog. It's also possible that it's "trash". But until you know for sure, you don't know what actions need to be taken to clean it up, if any. And we certainly don't know if the government is the right body to be in charge of the cleanup process.

Don't assume. Present the facts. Facts are the only thing that matter. If you can't present them or don't know them, your assumptions are just wrong.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 03:09 PM
    On the other hand at least we can deduce what happened to Nessie. Apparently the Loch Ness Monster was doomed by golf balls.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    On the other hand at least we can deduce what happened to Nessie. Apparently the Loch Ness Monster was doomed by golf balls.
    Good heavens these things are worse than plastic bags, can we look forward to a US buried under lost golf balls, Now if all those golf balls could be collected and shipped to Afghanistan to be used in golf ball launchers the war would be over quickly. Anyone who has ever been hit by a golf ball knows why.:D
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Good heavens these things are worse than plastic bags, can we look forward to a US buried under lost golf balls, Now if all those golf balls could be collected and shipped to Afghanistan to be used in golf ball launchers the war would be over quickly. Anyone who has ever been hit by a golf ball knows why.:D
    I don' t know about those folks in Scotland but used golf balls are an industry here. Yes, we have people that put on their scuba gear and scour the bottom of lakes and ponds to collect and sell them. We recycle! :D
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 01:50 PM
    I don' t know about those folks in Scotland but used golf balls are an industry here. Yes, we have people that put on their scuba gear and scour the bottom of lakes and ponds to collect and sell them. We recycle! :D
    Yes I noticed how you recycle your spent uranium, but you can only recycle a golf ball so many times, I have often wondered what happens to the golf balls that are passed their used by date? They can't be recycled any more than used tyres can be recycled
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 09:37 AM
    Speaking of facts, John Kerry is only "off by a factor of 32" on greenhouse gas emissions in the U.S. over the last 8 years on his argument to pass Cap and Tax.

As the video shows, greenhouse gas emissions increased far slower in the 2000s than the 1990s. According to data from the Energy Information Administration,[1] U.S. carbon dioxide emissions increased by 15.14% between 1990 and 1999, but from 2001 to 2008 carbon dioxide emissions only increased by 1.88%. If Senator Kerry were correct, U.S. carbon dioxide emissions would have increased by 60.5% over the last 8 years, but they only increased by 1.88%. Senator Kerry overestimated U.S. emissions by a factor of 32.

These are the authors of the Kerry-Boxer cap-and-trade energy tax legislation. If our leaders can’t stick to the basic facts to support their argument for a national energy tax, and the lead author of the bill is this far off the mark on “the reason” Congress needs to pass it, Americans might reasonably question the validity of their estimates on how much the bill will cost them and our nation’s already-struggling economy.
    Not to be outdone, if The Goracle is correct (which he isn't) then we should be having rather intense global warming. He claimed to Conan that the temperature of the earth's core is "several million degrees." I believe estimates are 5700 K, which is 9800 F and a little over 5400 C.

He's just off by a few million degrees. Is this what Obama meant by "we will restore science to its rightful place" and "the science is beyond dispute?"
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 09:59 AM
    He's just off by a few million degrees. Is this what Obama meant by "we will restore science to its rightful place" and "the science is beyond dispute?"
    They have to have their 'crisis'...
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Speaking of crisis and climate change (global warming) we are experiencing the hottest November it is breaking long term records

Nov 18, 2009, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Speaking of crisis and climate change (global warming) we are experiencing the hottest November it is breaking long term records
    And we just came off the coldest October we've seen in decades.

They have a scientific term for such changes and differences in temperature, you know.

It's called "WEATHER".

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 03:39 PM

Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    And we just came off the coldest October we've seen in decades.

They have a scientific term for such changes and differences in temperature, you know.

It's called "WEATHER".

Elliot
    Yes Elliot our October was cold too but November came in with a bang. I'm as skeptical as anyone but I can't help feeling something is happening, it's turned sub tropical here again which is not normal WEATHER
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:33 AM

Hello:

Yup. Global warming... Pure poppycock... I mean, how can throwing your trash into the air do THAT?? You guys are sooo down to earth in your beliefs...

However, there's a couple things that could be said about you as a group. You don't believe in global warming, but you DO believe there's a white haired bearded guy in the sky watching over you... You believe that if you close your eyes and talk to him, everything will be cool. You believe that all the bad people are going to die very soon, but you good people, will just float up into the sky...

Yup, you guys are believable, all right.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 07:46 AM

Glad you admit that global warming has become a religion.
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Ex, I don't recall bringing God into this discussion and we've all agreed that pollution is a bad thing so try to stay focused here. My point was fact based, for years the left has whined that the Bush administration disregarded the science. Obama promised to restore science to it's rightful place.

And yet we have another example of a Senator either willfully disregarding or distorting the science to pass his agenda, or just being clueless. And we have the guru of climate change, who stands to reap huge rewards under this agenda, just being clueless to the science.

You tell me what to believe from that, based on the facts.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:18 AM
    we have the guru of climate change, who stands to reap huge rewards under this agenda,

You tell me what to believe from that, based on the facts.
    Hello again, Steve:

That capitalism is a GOOD thing?

excon

PS> We ARE talking about BELIEFS here, Steve. Consequently, ALL your beliefs are fair game.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inconvenient mental condition [ 5 Answers ]

I am suffering from some mental condition which has made me fear of facing the society,people.It has also made me a victim of gastritis.I'm feeling fear for something unknown to myself.Please tell me the way out of this.

AC for Hyderabad Climate [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to buy an AC system for my house in Hyderabad ( 1st floor, 3 bhk, with medium sized bed rooms and a big hall). Planning to fix AC in only one bed room initially. Can anyone kindly answer the following questions. 1) Which brand to go. 2) Window or Split 3) Cost 4)...

View more questions Search