Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zoogarama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Foot pain need help
    Ok, I'm in marching band and I've done so for the past three years (this is my fourth) and I've never had problems with my feet it's always been my knees and sometimes ankles. However recently, I've been getting these sharp pains in the arch of my foot when I stand on the balls of my feet when I'm marching. At least that was the only time it happened, now It's starting to happen when I'm just walking regularly.

It almost feels like needles are stabbing me from inside of my foot. Anyone know what it is and what I can do to treat it? Right now we have two weeks left in the season and until then I'm active everyday and can't really help it. I've been trying to stay off it as much as I can but so far I've just been kind of ignoring it and pushing through but now it's just getting worse. Any advice and help would be welcome.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Nov 8, 2006, 09:50 AM
    You could possibly be suffering from a Morton's neuroma - a benign 'tumor' on a nerve in your foot. In the truest sense, it is not a tumor but some thickening around the nerve. It is most commonly seen in people who are on their feet a lot - and is more common in females. Check out this site for more specifics:
    http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_r...pcategory=Foot

Also, there are stress fractures - actual small breaks in the bone - that can occur with repeated small injuries related to such activities as marching. Neither of these conditions are likely to get any better on their own. You need to be evaluated by a doctor (orthopedist) before it gets any worse...
    zoogarama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jgj6331
    You could possibly be suffering from a Morton's neuroma - a benign 'tumor' on a nerve in your foot. In the truest sense, it is not a tumor but some thickening around the nerve. It is most commonly seen in people who are on their feet alot - and is more common in females. Check out this site for more specifics:
    http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_r...pcategory=Foot

Also, there are stress fractures - actual small breaks in the bone - that can occur with repeated small injuries related to such activities as marching. Neither of these conditions are likely to get any better on their own. You need to be evaluated by a doctor (orthopedist) before it gets any worse...
    It's not really on the balls of my feet that hurt so I'm reluctant to think it's Morton's Neuroma. However it could be a stress fracture, I know a friend of mine is going through the same thing I think. And can the break get bigger and worse? Because it feels like it's getting worse since now I feel pain just when I'm walking. Usually it would hurt once and then wouldn't bother me the rest of the day. Now it hurts multiple times even doing the simplist activities.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Nov 8, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Stress fractures need rest to heal - if you continue doing the activity that caused it, it continues to get re-injured and cannot heal properly. Most stress fractures can be seen with a simple x-ray - some subtle cases may require a nuclear bone scan - neither of which is painful.

Morton's neuroma could still be a consideration - and there are very rare things like bone tumors (ie. CANCER), osteoid osteomas, infections, etc. - so, you need to see a doctor without delay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Periodic stabbing foot pain [ 18 Answers ]

On the top right side of my right foot about halfway back I would from time to time get a quick stabbing pain. Starting last night it's frequency ranges from every few seconds to every few minutes. Ouch! Any ideas of what's causing it?

Foot pain on side of foot [ 33 Answers ]

Was hoping someone could help. I have pain on the outside of my right foot. It is 1/2 way down the foot, it is tender to the touch and makes walking difficult.. Any ideas what it is? Thanks..

Drywalling a 9 foot ceiling [ 7 Answers ]

May be a silly question, but how does one drywall a 9 foot ceiling? I'm guessing you hang your 4x8 (or 4x12) sheets horizontally and cut a one foot strip at the top or bottom (does it matter?)... Do they sell 4 1/2 dimension drywall? Thanks!

Side of foot pain [ 10 Answers ]

I am having pain on my right foot on the side. It is painful if I walk a lot and with certain shoes. Even aerobic sneakers make it painful

Injured foot... [ 0 Answers ]

I think I've possibly fractured my foot but I'm not 100% sure. As I was walking through my living room, my right baby toe got caught on a chair leg and was bent back. I just thought I had stubbed my toe, but I woke the next morning to a very swollen, bruised foot. The swelling and pain persisted...

View more questions Search