Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Which State Gets the Tax
    I am a nj resident who just accepted a job with a Maryland corporation, and I will be physically working in an office in Maryland. Should my employer withhold md or nj state income tax from my check? I know for a fact that the company pays unemployment insurance to the state of New Jersey, which means they have nexus in the state, so shouldn't they withhold nj income tax also, and not md?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 09:24 AM

You pay state tax to the state that you live in so they should withhold NJ tax.

The exception to this law is (and might not be universal) that if your state of residence does not have income tax, you pay in the state that you work (I used to live in NH with no tax but paid state income to MA where I worked)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Actually, you will need to file tax returns for BOTH Maryland and New Jersey.

Maryland will tax your income because you earned it in Maryland.

New Jersey will tax your world-wide income because you live in New Jersey.

You avoid double taxation by claiming a credit on your NJ tax return for income taxes paid to Maryland. Note that it is prudent to attach a copy of your Maryland return to your NJ return when you file the NJ return; it answers questions before they can be asked.

Because of the tax credit and the fact that Maryland's tax rates from $3K to $150K is HIGHER than New Jersey's tax rates, have your employer withhold ONLY Maryland taxes. The credit for the Maryland taxes paid will offset any tax liability from New Jersey on your New Jersey tax return.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 12:35 PM

ATE is correct - you should have MD tax withheld. In most cases when you live in one state and work in another you should have tax withheld for the state where you work - not the one where you live. If you live in a state with a signficantly higher tax rate than where you work you may want to consider filing estimated income tax each quarter with your home state - but as ATE pointed out that's not the case here. Or if you work in a state with no income tax and live in a state with tax (for example, if you live in MA and work in NH) you should ask your employer to have tax withheld for your home state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax from foreign bank account [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Power of Attorney over an account in Canada that belong to my dad who resides in UK. With all the recent FBAR fiasco I am trying to amend the FBAR reports before the June 2010 deadline. Before I even proceed I am trying to determine if I owe any taxes on interest just to qualify. We are...

Tax Credits Receivable [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is the correct entry to record tax refunds (SRED, ITC, OBRI) from the Government? Thanks.

Tax Saving [ 1 Answers ]

I am a United State citizen and bringing my parents in 2-3 months on tourist visa from India. Can I claim them as my dependents for my tax purpose.

Can't find 'total tax' on Turbo Tax [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, If you are a Turbo Tax expert or even just know about the software... PLEASE, I need help! I recentely e-filed my 2007 tax returns on Turbo Tax, but since I did not have 2006's tax information, I had to print out a signature page: form 8453-OL On the signature page there is a...

View more questions Search