Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drumbiz Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Windows updates
    Are the Windows updates necessary? Do they cause the computer to run slower? The updates are automatic, but I question if they're helping or hurting. Please advise.
    hawksavu Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2009, 08:05 AM

Even I have constant updates!
    It will only do good to your computer!
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 12:19 PM

Yes, you do need them as they fix security flaws within your system and often provide greater performance upgrades. If you are worried about them slowing down your computer have them download and install at a time when you aren't using your computer, i.e sleeping.
    Spetznaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2009, 09:31 PM
    Automatic Updates are a real pain (for Windows Vista), what I do is disable them:

Start>Control Panel>Windows Update>Change Settings>Never Check For Updates>Uncheck All Options>Ok

Then go on the Microsoft website and look up Service Pack 1,2,3... download them and install them.
    Note: In order to install, for example SP3 you need to have SP1 and SP2 already installed.

Doing this shortens the pain of installing and configuring updates for Windows one by one, Which sometimes can take up to a half an hour. Service Packs are basically a whole bunch of updates that are in one pack.

Service Packs do help allot, here is an example:
    When I first got my laptop I installed Battlefield 2 (awesome fps game) and it played good for a couple of days and than started to lag like , I'm talking like 2 frames per second here, brutally slow! So I downgraded to Windows XP, and installed BF2 no lag at all. Soon I realized I was missing almost have of all the drivers I needed so I went up to Vista again. I installed BF2 on Vista again this time with SP1 and there was no lag at all. SP1 alone increased the speed of the start up and decreased the amount of CPU Vista uses.

So as you can see windows updates do help, but I like to install them in packs.
    My answer to your question is that you should install updates they add security updates and make your computer run faster.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Updates for Win XP-Pro - SP3 [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Friends, I am running Windows XP-Pro with SP3. I have set up autoupdates. The following updates are failing installation. I tried my best and not happening. Has any body experienced this problem and how to overcome this. I am getting the following message "Some updates could not be...

Can't install Windows XP Updates [ 5 Answers ]

(sorry, the question title should be "CAN'T" install updates) I had to replace a dead motherboard. That went fine and WinXP seemed to reinstall without incident. (Yes, it is a valid, legal copy of Windows). I was able to validate the install and run the Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 from...

Windows updates [ 1 Answers ]

I just did a windows repair on my computer. Now it won't let me do any updates. It says there are 80 updates, but it fails to let me get them.

Windows updates for Windows ME [ 16 Answers ]

For months now I can't get windows updates for Windows ME. I just get 'can't find server'. Neither Microsoft nor BT. Can help me. I've tried everything I can think of. I have a BT.Yahoo browser and I.Explorer 6. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Windows Updates for XP [ 2 Answers ]

How are you able to get a complete printout of your Windows Updates Installation History? All I can seem to get is only one page of history which doesn't show them all. Thanks, John

View more questions Search