Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stubits Posts: 390, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2009, 05:57 AM
    Deck Design - Does this work?
    Ok, so I just got the attached plans back from my architect. She's never designed a deck before and is doing this for us as a favor, more than anything else.

So, does this work? Any major concerns or flaws?

Specifically, what do you think of how the pergola structure attaches to the deck? What sort of connector would you use? Would something like this work? BC-BCS Post Caps

Where she calls for a 6x10, can I simply combine 4 2x10? Do they make a joist hanger large enough to support a 6x10?

My biggest concern is with the footers. The frost depth here is 30", so I know I need to go at least that deep, but what diameter should sonotube should I use?

Thanks guys!
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2009, 09:21 AM

You will need a permit for this job so start there before asking us to evaluate the design. Codes vary so much the building department gets first say. They will also tell you the correct size of the footing, post sits on top of the footing not inside the tube. Most large lumber yards and box store will carry that 6x10 hanger. Simpson Strong Tie HUC610 6x10 Heavy Duty Joist Hanger Concealed/Reverse Flange

Nov 9, 2009, 09:26 AM

Thanks so much. Totally agree. This is just one part of a much larger project, everything will be permitted.

Unfortunately the authorities here are not as helpful as they are elsewhere. They fail plans without offering any guidance, or so most times even an explanation of why it failed. I guess this comes with the territory living in a larger city, so I am just trying to avoid as many errors as possible.

Nov 9, 2009, 09:30 AM

What city are you in and have you tried to downlaod that city's building code?

Nov 9, 2009, 09:37 AM

I am in Washington, DC. We follow the 2006 IRC. I've been referring to this document, which seems helpful, http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6.pdf.

Unfortunately I cannot find anything about pergola to deck attachments.

I really just want to make sure this is headed in the right direction. I think the architect might be overbuilding with the 6x10s and was hoping for a second opinion, so to speak.

Nov 9, 2009, 09:42 AM

Try page 6. http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6.pdf

Nov 9, 2009, 09:44 AM

Thanks. I read that and it was helpful. That said, the architect is calling for a 6x10 to support the pergola. I'd love to know if that is necessary or overkill, and if I could get away with 3 2x10s.

Nov 9, 2009, 09:46 AM

I am not an engineer but think that size is mostly for looks. The entire idea of a pergola is for looks in many cases.

Nov 9, 2009, 09:49 AM

Hmm, for sure, but in this instance the 6x10 actually runs under the deck, in line with the joists and the pergola posts attach to the 6x10 beam. In this instance the beam is entirely structural as it won't be seen under the deck. There are smaller, more decorative beams above.

Nov 9, 2009, 10:08 AM

6x10 under the deck is not a pergola it's a floor joist and three 2x10 will not be as strong. This is where being an engineer or architect comes in handy. They stamp their drawings showing they know the codes and have engineered their design to fit. The decorative beams on top are the pergolas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic Product design, Mold design, Plastics, [ 2 Answers ]

What are all the precautions needs to be taken during Nylon molding?

Changing belt on wizard 14 hp 42 in cut craftsman deck replacing linkage on deck [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace linkage rods on mower deck on a wizard 14 hp 42 in. craftman deck.

Mower deck belt routing John Deere 420 - 50inch deck [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I am looking for help on the routing for deck belt for John Deere 420 with 50 inch deck. Any help would be appreciated. [email protected] Thank you ! Steve

Deck top. We have a covered deck, planning on expanding deck, a 2x4 crossed cover [ 1 Answers ]

help!! We are planning on expanding our original deck with an open 2x4 crossed cover... do you have pictures or construction help?? Thanks

View more questions Search