Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    g14gan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 03:35 AM
    Divorcing an immigrant
    Hi,

I need some advice for my cousin. My cousin will be married to a UK citizin for 4 years in Feb 2010. She currently has a permentant resisdent status, so she is allowed to work in the UK and the permentant stamp is on her passport. However, she does not currently have a British passport.

Her husband now wants a divorce and he is trying to send her back to the country, so she does not claim or return back to the country.

Is there a possibility where she will get sent back to her country because she has not been married to her partner for 5 years?

It will be great if somebody can help me out on this one. :confused:

Thanks,
    Megan!
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Nov 9, 2009, 10:46 AM

If she has ILR status, she has the right to live in UK, even without a spouse.

Forget about deporting her... can't be done. Divorce and move on!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorcing an Immigrant [ 12 Answers ]

My son married a young lady from China. It is clear that she only married him for green card purposes. He would like to divorce her. Recently she told him she expected to be pregnant within the next 4 weeks. She only has sex when she thinks she will conceive. He refuses to continue marital...

I am divorcing my Immigrant husband before 1 yr anniversary [ 4 Answers ]

He is on a Conditional Visa and we have filed for divorce based on IRRECONCIALABLE DIFFERENCES in New Jersey. Ours was never really a bona fide marriage since it always seemed he kept going back to his ex girlfriend. I cared about him and forgave him the first time but no more. We had a lease...

Divorcing an immigrant [ 1 Answers ]

I have been married to mny Chinese wife for about 3 years. She has been in this country (USA) for 15 months. I am sure she used the marriage to gain entrance to the country. We are physically separated but she demands money. I want a divorce and I want her to go back to China. She says I am screwed...

Divorcing immigrant wife--when is the best time ? [ 1 Answers ]

I've brought my wife to the US on a fiancé visa and we've been married for a year. It became painfully clear that she only married me to come to the US and she is not in love with me like I was with her. Few months ago she received her conditional green card. I want to divorce her but I found out...

Divorcing an Immigrant in Callifornia [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfreind will be here soon from Thailand on a fiancé visa and she has no money and I have a good amount of money. My question is, if we do marry without a prenup and we get a divorce with in a couple of years, will I have to give her half? We are located in California by the way.

View more questions Search