Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ncgirl2808 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 07:23 PM
    How old do you have to be to see your birth parents?
    How old do you have to be to see your birth parents?. if you were adopted
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 07:24 PM

Depends on if it is a open or closed adoption. Normally in closed adoption you never see them. In fact you will never know who they are.

In open adoption it will depend upon first the adoption agreement and the choices of the parents
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 07:45 PM

You need to be 18 to start a search for them on your own.

Prior to 18--it's up to your adoptive parents.

Even with open adoptions, there's no contract--it's an agreement between both sets of your parents. Ultimately, though, your adoptive parents are your LEGAL parents, and they get the final say.

Why are you looking for your birth parents?
    cheerbabe3230 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 05:39 PM
    In a closed adoption at 18 you can start looking for them. It is up to them if they want to see you or not. When you turn 18 and start looking, call the hospital about it, they can give you most information. Also, look at your birth certificate to.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerbabe3230 View Post
    In a closed adoption at 18 you can start looking for them. It is up to them if they want to see you or not. When you turn 18 and start looking, call the hospital about it, they can give you most information. Also, look at your birth certificate to.
    Wrong.

In an adoption, a new birth certificate is issued, showing the ADOPTIVE parents' names.

Also, if you don't know either your birthparents' names or the hospital you were born in, NO hospital is going to release confidential patient information over the phone to someone just calling out of the blue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

34 and no birth parents that I know of. [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted at 6 months old. Born in Queens City General Hospital on January 4 1973. I spent my first 18 months with my adopted parents in Irvington New Jersey, then moved to Piscataway New Jersey where I resided until I graduated High School. The only thing I know is that my adoption was...

Looking for birth parents [ 3 Answers ]

I was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on August 30 1966. I promised my adopted mom and dad that I would not look for my birth mom and dad until they were gone. I would love to know who I look like. I have no issues with why you gave me up I would just like to know simple little things like who I look...

Birth parents [ 1 Answers ]

How do people find their biological parents /

What would you ask your birth parents? [ 6 Answers ]

I recently began the search for my birth parents. I have received a form that allows me to ask 10 questions. Since my adoption was private there was not much information gotten about my birth parents I really don’t even know where to start. If you could ask your birth parents one question what...

Can a minor birth mother's parents relinquish rights to the birth father? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Here's the situation: the soon-to-be birth mother is 16, still living with her parents and attending school. The birth father is 18, still lives with his parents but has a job and is generally responsible. The parents of the birth mother want her to put the baby up for adoption and move on...

View more questions Search