Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maconcold Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 07:03 PM
    Armana Comfort Zone Blowing Cold Air
    Hi All,

I have an Amana Comfortzone. Over the summer, I changed out the thermostat to a programmable one and now my heat blows cold air. I am hoping that it has something to do with the thermostat. The A/C worked and continues to work fine.

When I look into the heating unit, I am able to see a red LED somewhere in the flame area, but no flame-- I presume this is an ignitor?

When heat is switched on, it turns on instantly and starts blowing cold air. It does not turn off after any period and will continue to blow.

On the thermostat, I have the following connected:

Blue, Yellow, RH, and G.

When I switched out the thermostat, there was also a white wire that was not connected to anything, but I cannot rule out that it became disconnected during the switch.

Assuming it was a thermostat problem, I switched to a basic manual thermostat, the Hunter 40170. However, the same problem exists. I am thinking now that I must have some wires crossed somewhere or something. Suggestions?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 07:17 PM
    The white wire is usually the heating circuit, connected to the "W" terminal on the thermostat. If the blower turns on immediately under heating demand, the thermostat is configured for electric heat, rather than gas.

Nov 8, 2009, 07:18 PM

Do I need to connect the white wire?

Is it possible for the fan to be electric, and to turn on immediately, but not for the heat itself to be blowing? The blowing is quite strong from the vent.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 07:22 PM
    If you have a gas furnace, it will manage blower operation in heating mode. The thermostat should not be initiating blower operation in heating. If possible, look at the thermostat wire connections at the furnace, and post wire colors with terminal letter designations here.

Nov 8, 2009, 07:25 PM

Great idea, KC13. Be right back.

Nov 8, 2009, 07:42 PM

I was not able to get into the blower area without unscrewing a number of screws that I did not feel comfortable touching. BUT, I did find the owners manual shoved into the top compartment area, and there was some striping of the thermostat wires leading in as well.

I was able to see that there were Blue, Yellow, RH, G, and White leading to the unit.

Interestingly, the manual says to plug in Y, RH, C, G, and W.

What should I do, just connect the W?

Nov 8, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Also, I have the Armana Gas Fired Air Furnace, Single Stage.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 07:46 PM
    This is typical: Red to "R" (or "Rh" with jumper to "Rc" if present), white to "W", yellow to "Y", green to "G", blue to "C" (if present).
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 07:46 PM

Where did you put the blue wire?

Nov 8, 2009, 07:50 PM

The blue wire does not come out of the wall! Do I need it? The heat worked last winter with the old thermostat.

At this point, plug the White in?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 07:52 PM

I would say yes. White to w
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 07:54 PM
    Yes. The other issue is, the system type selection. Either a switch must be set, or a setup menu option changed.

Nov 8, 2009, 07:55 PM

Wait, sorry. I plugged B to B.

Nov 8, 2009, 08:10 PM

Ok, plugged W into W. Turned heat on -- system started blowing immediately, but it isn't cold air now, and there is somewhat of a gas smell coming through the vents. Is that normal for the first time the system kicks on?
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 08:12 PM
    The odor may just be the system heating up for the first time this fall, and should go away. Back to the fan issue - do you have a book for this thermostat?

Nov 8, 2009, 08:14 PM

When I look at the hole at the bottom of the unit, I don't see a fire, I only see the red LED-- am I supposed to see anything different?

The air blowing isn't warm either, by the way.
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 08:16 PM
    Is the LED steady or blinking?

Nov 8, 2009, 08:18 PM
    Yes, and it is available online:

http://www.hunterfan.com/uploadedFil...uals/42998.pdf

I have the switched set to HP (HP for single stage or STD for conventional) and HE (HE for gas furnace or HG for electric furnace)

Nov 8, 2009, 08:18 PM
    LED is steady
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Set switches to STD and HG.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane xe80 gas furnace not blowing any hot air [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE80 Gas Furnace. It is not blowing any hot air at all. Can anyone help. Thank you

York Blowing Cold Air - Flash 7 [ 3 Answers ]

York Diamond

A/C is blowing warm air/outside is blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Goodman A/C for about 4 years, today my a/c started blowing warm and the outside unit is blowing cold air. Just last week I replace the filter and the a/c want out, the tech replace the capacitor because the fan went out. Now today the fan is working but the a/c is now blowing warm air...

Furnace blowing cold air.starts out warm, goes to cold. [ 6 Answers ]

Hoping for help here. I recently had my ignitor replaced. Before that, the furnace wasn't working at all. Now it starts blowing warm (not hot) air, then gradually over a period of a couple of hours, the air cools down until it is completely cold and the temperature in the house drops drastically....

Cold Air Registers Blowing Cold Air [ 3 Answers ]

Our cold air registers are blowing cold air worse than if the windows were open. The hot air registers blow cold air but not as forceful (maybe because they are 1/3 the size of the returns) This only happens when the furnace is off and we are heating with the wood stoves. We have metal ducting...

View more questions Search