Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeff bouchey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 03:17 PM
    #00 to 100a breaker
    A friend of mine ran #00/3 from his house to his garage, but only wants a 100a service. What can I use to hook up #00 to a 100a main breaker, because I don't think the physical size of the wire will fit under the lugs in the breaker. Also I plan to run a #6 to a ground plate buried 3' outside the garage. Is this suitable for a ground.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 04:01 PM
    They make cable reducers,such as the Burndy #AYPO2/0, shown in the picture.

These need a specific crimping tool that may be rented out by electrcial suppliers, etc.

Or if this is not practical, and if there is enough room, you can cut the #2/0 short in the box, and splice smaller wire on using split bolt or insulated "bugs" to reduce the wire.

A GE 100 amp breaker can handle #1/0 wire, check your breaker to determine the largest wire it can handle. This info is listed on a small label on each breaker, including the proper torque specs. Yes, wire connections need to be torqued to a certain value, and a torque wrench with the proper driver tip is needed.

The ground plate is fine, minimum depth is 30 inches. The plate needs to be no smaller than 2 ft square, at least 1/4" thick for ferrous metal, .06" or 1.5 mm thick for non-ferrous metal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaker License [ 9 Answers ]

I need to find out information on "Breaker License" in the United Kingdom.

Gfi breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have an outdoor pond. I think that my electrical connection got wet and shorted out. My question is, I changed out all the receptacles on the gfi circuit and only two work. Is it possible that the breaker is bad and does not supply all of the circuits now??

Breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I have low voltage landscape lighting plugged into an outside outlet. The total watts is about 500 and I am using a 600 watt transformer. The outlet is a GFI outlet and has a dedicated 20 amp breaker. Nothing else is on this breaker. Sometimes the breaker will trip. I have replaced the...

Breaker Trips [ 3 Answers ]

My furance Circuit breaker The main from the house input has stated to trip. It has happened twice this past weekend? Any ideas?

Breaker doesn't trip [ 3 Answers ]

There is a property that has a 30-amp breaker in the electrical distribution panel labeled for the AC unit. The outside HVAC unit had a maximum over-current protection rating of 25-amps. I'm looking to see how serious this is and also to understand why the breaker doesn't trip with that amp...

View more questions Search