Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joshs_79065 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 03:29 PM
    No dial tone inside the home OR at the NID
    I recently woke up the other morning to find my phone had no dial tone. When people call the number the phone itself doesn't ring, but on their end it just keeps ringing. I hear static on the line when I turn on the phone. DSL is still working as well. I then went to my parents and borrowed their corded phone and took it outside to test at the NID. After a few moments, the phone rang but no one was there and I suddenly had a dial tone, working both on the corded phone and the cordless phone inside. After a few hours, the line went dead again. I tried the corded phone out at the NID again, and now the corded phone won't even turn on to where I can use it (it's a really old phone, but it was working earlier). Ever since then, the line has had nothing but static and buzzing sounds. Any suggestions?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 03:35 PM

Sounds like a burnt or corroded Jacks and/or cord. Unplug each phone and inspect the gold contacts on jack and cord, should not be black or green.
    If it rings and rings, line is open, if it rings busy it has a short or loaded down.

Nov 8, 2009, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Sounds like a burnt or corroded Jacks and/or cord. unplug each phone and inspect the gold contacts on jack and cord, should not be black or green.
    If it rings and rings, line is open, if it rings busy it has a short or loaded down.

Ive tried the phone on other jacks as well and nothing is working, only have two that ever worked, one that is mounted up on the wall and the second is a normal jack on nearby the floor and appears to be fine, I didn't see any corroded or burnt jacks. The telephone company recently replaced the wiring to the NID not even a month ago when we had the phone line established due to an animal chewing up the cord leading up to it.

I also took the cordless phone to my parents house and hooked it up to their connection and called my home phone. The phone kept ringing and ringing. When I came home and hooked the phone back up to my jack, I had a dial tone again. This is certainly a strange situation haha.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 04:42 PM

That kind of nonsense happens all the time. Corroded contacts (somewhere), and I think it's not necessarily your wiring.

Constant buzzinging - High AC voltage on line is probably caused by bad protector (tel co problem, don't think that's yours)

Buzzing when it rains - Isulaton breakdown and bugs like spiders. Again, don't think it's your problem.

I might suspect that someone didn't put the NID back together again right or there is a corroded connection somewhere to you. The fact that it clears after it rings for a while should be a clue.

Remote testing may or may not be conclusive. They may or may not want to do it with the house removed. Usually there is the electrical equivalent of 1/2 a standard bell or 0.5 REN in the NID. This isn't an optimal optimal configuration for DSL, but it works.

The test jack with the loop of wire isn't as good as the auto-jack that doesn't use one.

Yep, think it's an intermittant telco problem.

Nov 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Wow, that sounds just dandy... Lol, so should I head to my parents and call AT&T and have them send someone out?
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 05:07 PM

Do you have a whole house filter, then Problem may be at NID/D Marc.

Nov 8, 2009, 05:11 PM
    No full house filter, just a filter on the only jack were using atm. I swapped out the filter and the problem continues. I plugged in directly to the wall and still nothing.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 05:13 PM
    You can follow 48 volts from dmark to jacks and see where it is lost.
    I would NOT call ATT, Money is their bottom line, and sounds expensive if inside the house.

Nov 8, 2009, 05:16 PM

Well when the girlfriend set up the service she added some monthly fee to repair the jacks as well. I don't have the tools/money necessary to check voltage I'm afraid.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 05:26 PM

If she paid for a service contract(free repair), I would call them.

Nov 8, 2009, 05:27 PM

Okay, will do. I'll post back when I can get ahold of them and report what they tell me. This is very confusing to me haha.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 05:27 PM

Your set then even if it's inside the house. Seems like when you don't have the maintenance they keep saying "It's in the house" even if it isn't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No landline dial tone after removing home security alarm box? [ 22 Answers ]

Hello all, I removed the security alarm panel box and after had no dial tone to my landline. The system was not activated/operating for some time. Any one have any ideas of how to reconnect my phone line. I want to get rid of the alarm but keep the phone. Thanks in advance...

Phone has dial tone outside but inside not making or receiving calls [ 13 Answers ]

I have two phone lines. Line 1 is not working, line 2 is. When I left the house around 7pm both were working just fine. Got home around 10pm and line 1 had only static when I picked it up. It is also busy if anyone tries to call it so no incoming or outgoing calls. I tried disconnecting BOTH...

Dial tone O.K. In shop no good at home [ 2 Answers ]

By accident I recently cut some what I thought was old unused wire in our home. Unfortunately it was telephone line! We have other jacks on different circuits so I plugged in the affected cordless telephone-there was power but no dial tone. I took the whole phone assembly to our local...

No dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

No dial tone in my cordless phone! Jack connected to rogers box. Another phone connected to same box is working fine. Help

Phone is active outside No dial tone w/ inside wiring [ 6 Answers ]

:( Older townhome with red green black yellow wires from jacks. Incoming lines are blue /white, orange/white, green/white, blue/red, brown/white, grey/white and vs.versa. All jacks have been disconnected and I have tested the first incoming jack with blue/white, white/blue to the red and green...

View more questions Search