Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chowdmouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 03:05 PM
    Working out of State and Tax Issues
    Hello,

I'm a IT consultant working for a company (i.e. I'm just a cog in the Man's machine, not an independent :D ) I'm currently on a long term project in another state. I generally fly in on Monday and fly out on Thursday and work from home on Friday. I get a per diem for food and reimbursed for other expenses (car rental, airfare, etc.) Recently a colleague brought up the fact that since we're approaching our 1 year anniversary on-site (he seemed to think that was some sort of milestone date) there might be federal or state tax implications. I'm checking out a few different sources (HR department, IRS.gov, etc.) and thought I'd post a question here as well. If anyone can give me some information regarding this, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
    CM
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 7, 2006, 04:54 PM
    CM:

Your friend is correct about the tax implications, or at least he would be if you had an apartment in the other state. The IRS only considers work assignments of less than a year as "temporary".

However, the fact that you travel in on Monday, stay (I presume) in a hotel, then fly out on Thursday supports that this assignment is in fact a true temporary assignment.

You MAY have to pay taxes on your per diem (depends on whether your employer's reimbursement plan is accountable or non-accountable).

Other than that, you should have no problems.
    chowdmouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 08:12 PM
    Thanks for the note ATE.

I have actually been staying in a corporate apartment which is billed directly to my employer, but as far as I can tell from some IRS information I've found my "tax home" is still the state where my wife and I live. Does the corporate apartment (vs. a hotel) make a difference?

Regarding the per diem, I'll ask about the accountable or non-accountable nature of it, but can you explain the difference between the two?

Regards,
    CM

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    CM:

Your friend is correct about the tax implications, or at least he would be if you had an appartment in the other state. The IRS only considers work assignments of less than a year as "temporary".

However, the fact that you travel in on Monday, stay (I presume) in a hotel, then fly out on Thursday supports that this assignment is in fact a true temporary assignment.

You MAY have to pay taxes on your per diem (depends on whether your employer's reimbursement plan is accountable or non-accountable).

Other than that, you should have no problems.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 8, 2006, 05:02 PM
    The corporate apartment is the same as a hotel in the eyes of the IRS.

An accountable plan requires you submit expense reports to get reimbursed. An non-accountable plan just pays you a per diem amount.
    weitings Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    The corporate apartment is the same as a hotel in the eyes of the IRS.

An accountable plan requires you submit expense reports to get reimbursed. An non-accountable plan just pays you a per diem amount.
    So, you may need to pay taxes if the per-diem IS accountable? Or if it's NOT accountable?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP, except that I live in a hotel... but for 2-4 weeks at a stretch. My out-of-state project is approaching the 2-year mark... so I'm starting to worry. Do I need to file out-of-state taxes?

(Found this thread while googling... looks like the tax expert is still actively answering questions around here... Thanks!)
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 01:47 PM
    In my opinion, you ARE liable for state income taxes in the state where the 2-year project is located.

If the per diem is accountable, it is not taxable. If it is NOT accountable, it IS taxable.
    artlaunier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2011, 11:09 AM
    Like many in the IT field, I have a job that is out of state.

I fly out on Sunday and fly back on Thursday and work out of my home office on Friday. All of my travel expenses are detailed and submitted for reimbursement.

I am an independent living in GA, contracted to a company in NJ, who subcontracted me to a company in IL, who subcontracted me to their client in MI, whom I am doing the work for in OK. Yea, confusing isn't it.

I have been on the job for 6 month in 2010 and will be on the job for 7 months in 2011.

I paid my 2010 income tax to GA and will submit my 2011 income tax to GA. All my travel expenses are accountable, with receipts and submitted to the company in NJ for my reimbursement.

Do you see and tax problems with the way I'm it?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 02:37 PM
    You are correct in filing the Georgia tax return, because that is your home base.

However, you also owe taxes to Oklahoma, because the work was performed in Oklahoma. You would claim a credit on your GA return for the Oklahoma taxes paid.
    RCNorfleet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
    I am an Engineering Consultant and my home is Pennsylvania. I've been put on assignment in Kentucky for seven months. I receive a per diem check bi-weekly; it is less than the federal max for the county. Rather than corporate housing I got an apartment, and rented furniture (some I purchased some appliances).

My monthly / weekly expenses are less than the daily per diem allowance from my company. Also I prefer to cook rather than eat out, so I don't generate many M&I receipts.

I am concerned how to deal with the taxes, because the per diem I don't spend I think, should be reported as income.

Other than receipts what other info should I be keeping?
    Senior Tax Expert

May 12, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Are you submitting periodic expense reports, or just being paid per diem?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TAX issues [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all, I Completed my Master's and currently Im working in USA on OPT. How much tax is deducted(%) frm our monthly income, while on OPT? Also what forms besides the W4, are to be filled by students on OPT?

F-1 to permanent resident tax issues [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to thank all of you in advance for your help. Here is my story: Entered US in March '98 with F-1 visa, married US Citizen in August '02 but never filed for residency with INS. We have filed taxes as married filing jointly ('02, '03, '04, '05) with my TIN - Never...

State Tax [ 9 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you for your help to all of us. I have been trying to find an answer to my questions through your previous posts but failed to do so. I came to the US in2003 as a F-1 student and was under F1+OPT status for 2005. I have two questions regarding my tax return: ...

Fed, State and City - NYC living and working [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I’ve just started working in NYC and living in NYC. From some research, I understand I need to pay federal, NY State, and NY City taxes on my gross income after adjusting/deducting the gross income for some exemptions and deductions. Also understand two options under deductions exist –...

F1->H1, State Tax [ 1 Answers ]

When filing state taxes, should I put the "adjusted gross income" as the income earned while I am on H1b or is it the whole year(h1b+F1)? I am filing Kansas State tax return, if that helps. Thanks,

View more questions Search