Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetnot13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Can an OS be recovered from an old HDD?
    Hi Folks

My name is David and I would be grateful for any advice on offer.

I am operating a Dell laptop with an OS of Windows 2000. I ceased using my desktop some time ago but recovered the hard drive from it before discarding.

I have connected that HDD via a USB connection and can read the contents of that
    Old HDD on two further drive letters assigned in My Computer.

Here's the rub. My old computer had an OS of Windows XP. Which, in my own simple way
    I was hoping I could get access to. Enabling me to upgrade the OS on my laptop.

Am I being somewhat overoptimistic? Or is such as I desire, achievable? I think I passed my XP installation disc on to a family member ever such a long time ago. And, enquiries in that direction are not going well.

Would someone kindly tell me that I am barking up the wrong tree and move on?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you might offer.

Best Wishes.

David Smith :confused:
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 8, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Nice idea, but no.
    An OS cannot be "copied" in this manner.
    You need legitimate install media.
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Nov 8, 2009, 09:42 AM

CBen is right, you need that installation disk.
    Even booting from that old hard drive will give you blue screens and shut down, well depending if the mainboard chipset is the same, it might work.
    Anyway, if you boot from that XP HDD, chances are 99%, that you will have to do a windows repair on it, (With the Install Disk).

Sorry mate :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recovered quickly from parvo? [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I came home to find my 4 1/2 month old puppy suddenly lethargic and without appetite. He would not go near his food or even get up to go outside. When I finally carried him out to the yard, he had some jelly-like diarrhea that was partly yellow and partly clear (sorry to be so graphic)....

Movie about recovered boy discovered to be an imposter [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name of the movie where boy is befriended by a young man. Boy turns up missing, but is recovered alive back home years later. Family identifies boy by a birthmark. Boy has a sister who it seems as though they have an incestuous relationship. The young man that befriended recovered boy...

Can things with my ex girlfriend be recovered? [ 50 Answers ]

I'll try and keep this concise. My ex girlfriend and I broke up 3 months ago. We'd taken each other for granted and pushed each other too far for things to work out. After we broke up I realised the mistakes I made. Over the next few months we both upset each other a little more, we stayed in...

Windows recovered from a device failure [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I keep getiing this message while my computer is on Windows recovered from a device failure please reboot to full functionality Could someone ans this question how to solve this problem Thanks

Stolen car recovered [ 2 Answers ]

My car was stolen 4 months ago I reported it to the police I found out about a week ago it was recovered and put into someone else's name. I was never informed by anyone that my car was found now my car has been stripped and crushed and can get no answers from the police as to why I was never told...

View more questions Search