This gearhead is temporarily stumped!
    Let me start with the codes then move into the symtoms:
    P0351, 0352, 0353- Coil circuits ABC
    P0442 Evap can leak? Looks good...
    P0455 Evap leak?
    P1486 Evap, pinched hose detected

Now the particulars-
    '01 TJ Sport, 4.0L, NV3550, 120K miles, 6 month old red top Optima battery

Has run like a champ without even a hic-up until today. I always take good care of her and do any and all preventative maintenance.
    This morning she started perfect at the first turn of the key. Drove 40 miles to work without incedent. Start for a 2nd time 4 hours later nothing unusual, fires up immediately as usual. 2 miles down the road at a stop light she dies without so much as a stutter. I pull to the side of the road and 30 seconds later she starts right up. Next light 1 mile down the road she starts to stutter but I catch it and rev it up a bit. I go a bit further and turn on the next road and she spits and sputters even at full throttle in 2nd gear and going 25-30mph then dies. Wait 30 secs and starts up again. I make it to another light (Trying to limp it to my office for an important meeting) and she idles fine and 5 seconds before the light changes she stalls again (not too popular with traffic!). Next light and several cranks later she turns over and takes off like a champ, I make it to my office parking lot without inccident. I come out 3 hours later and she won't start. The symptom is like she's not getting fuel, I pull the fuel rail shrader cap and push in the valve. Fuel is being delivered, I pull the air filter hose at the throttle body and put a small does of fuel down the hatch and start not start/ spit or even sputter. I go to the closest dealer and pick up a cam sensor (I've been down this road with my '03 TJ 50 miles from civilization and the same thing happened). I replace the sensor and no change. Fed up I have her towed home (30 miles ouch!) I pick up a loaner code reader at Checker and diagnosed the following codes above. I think these are from my gas cap... My evap canister looks to be in great condition as well as the hoses. Under the hood is always kept clean...
    I have now recharged my 6 month old Optima battery, replaced my ignition coil rail as well as my CPS (Manual transmission), cleaned all of the ground connections and STILL NO START...

It turns over great, it acts like it's not getting spark or fuel.:confused::mad:
    I don't think it's a bad CPS as the fuel pump and most everything else seems to work.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
    Mike
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 03:06 PM

Your symptoms remind me of my Cavalier I owned years ago. After replacing everything possible and it still would act up I kept driving it until it finally "broke" down. Turns out it was the coil that finally went. My mechanic told me that until the part finally failed completely he could keep replacing everything under the hood. After replacing the coil it worked like a charm.

I vote for the coil failure.
    1RuffRider Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Your symptoms remind me of my Cavalier I owned years ago. After replacing everything possible and it still would act up I kept driving it until it finally "broke" down. Turns out it was the coil that finally went. My mechanic told me that until the part finally failed completely he could keep replacing everything under the hood. After replacing the coil it worked like a charm.

I vote for the coil failure.
    Thanks but as I said above I've already replaced the coil, the crank position sensor, and the cam postions sensor...
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2009, 03:13 PM

Have you ever changed the fuel filter?

Nov 7, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    Have you ever changed the fuel filter?
    No but I do have fuel pressure at the rail and I even tried pouring some fuel into the throttle body while cranking the engine. Not so much as a spit or sputter...
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 03:27 PM

Classic ignitor failure symptoms. Replace the Direct Ignition System (DIS) coil #1, which is the driving ignitor. If the problem persists, you may have to replace coils 2, 3, and 4. Should the problem not go away, the ECM may be failing. At this point, I suspect the coils.

Nov 7, 2009, 03:27 PM

There isn't a real fuel filter per-say anyway. It's a square waffer at the end of the fuel pump...

Nov 7, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Ignitor? Who, what, where, when, how..
    I've never heard of this part on an 2001 TJ? Please give me some insight so I can explore this.

Thanks!
    Mike
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 03:42 PM

The ignitor (computer chip) resides inside each coil. It opens and closes the primary voltage going to the coil, in order to step-up the voltage in the secondary ignition system. Heat destroys the chip with age.

Replace the coils and I bet you will have "like-new" reliability back in 10 minutes. This advice may have just saved you a bundle ($400).

Nov 7, 2009, 03:53 PM

I already replaced the coil pack, the crank position sensor, and the cam position sensor...
    Still dead... It will crank, and crank, and crank but no start.

Nov 7, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Here's a link to what I replaced-
    Ignition Coil by BWD - Part 18240464 - Advance Auto Parts

Thanks for the help!
    I really appreciate it!
    Mike
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 04:11 PM

Find out where the ignitor(s) is/are located in your system and replace it (them). If it's inside the coil that you replaced, then your problem is likely with the ECM. My gut, however, is that it's classic ignitor failure, not ECM failure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 Jeep Wrangler won't start [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I went to start it Saturday afternoon and the key will go in the ignition, it will turn, all the gauges will come on, lights work, horn works but the car will not start. I hear clicking but it won't make any cranking noises. Starter issue or Solenoid...

1998 4cyl Sadan will not start all of the sudden? [ 2 Answers ]

Just got new brakes, rotors & battery yesterday. Machanic said it stalled about 2miles into the testing the brakes. Started right up. Drove it back to the shop. I pick it up 30min later and drive it right home with no problem. Next morning it will not start. Tried to jump it. No Luck? ...

1997 jeep wrangler stalls, will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1997 jeep wrangler. A few days ago I was waiting at a stop sign and when I went to pull out my Jeep stalled then completely quit. I assumed it was a fuel pump and replaced the fuel pump module (ouch!). I drove the jeep for 15-20 minutes trying out the new repair and the Jeep died again...

1988 Honda Civic Won't Start - Stumped [ 7 Answers ]

Would not start, received from sister her boyfriend thought it was fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump (he was half way done when I got the car). Still wouldn't start without ether and high RPMs. Started checking systems, found he had replace the brake power booster check valve with a fuel filter? I...

All of Sudden... Computer won't Start! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Yesterday I was working on my PC for couple of hrs. After I was done, I switched it off and left for some work. When I came back and tried to switch it on.. it won't start. No fans wotsoever.. no cpu fan, no chasis fan, no smps fan. I only see a small led lighting up on motherboard....

View more questions Search