Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Nov 7, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Physics and Vectors
    I have a question on what to do with this physics problem. I have tried looking up help on Google but can't find a straightforward answer. Let me first describe the graph. There are 3 vectors, in the shape of a 'Y'. One is going NE, one NW, and the last going South. I am suppose to use the graphical method to find the resultant, but where do I begin with this problem?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 11:21 AM

There are two ways of doing that.
    1. Break down two of the vectors into parallel and perpendicular vectors to the last one. Then, cancel the vectors which cancel out. You'll have 2 last vectors, each perpendicular to each other, which you can find the resultant easily.

2. Find the resultant of two vectors. Then, find the resultant using the third vector and the first resultant.

I hope it helped! :)
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Nov 7, 2009, 11:48 AM

Thanks! Question on the first choice. If you have 3 vectors and I cancel out 2 like you said, wouldn't that leave me with one, not two like you said?
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Nov 7, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE View Post
    Thanks! Question on the first choice. If you have 3 vectors and i cancel out 2 like you said, wouldn't that leave me with one, not two like you said?
    No no essentially what you are doing are adding two vectors by their vertical and horizontal components and getting the resultant vector to represent two vectors as 1 vector. Then you are left with 2 vectors :o
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Don't confuse yourself.

Calculate the horizontal and vertical component for two of the vector segments. Add the horizontal components (some may be negative, some may be positive). Add the vertical components. Use trigonometry to figure out the resultant vector (the hypotenuse of the right triangle with the horizontal and vertical components as sides) and you have the final resultant vector. You now have one resultant vector for two of the vectors. Repeat the calculation with the new vector and the remaining vector in your set. This will give you a final resultant vector.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Physics 11-vectors [ 3 Answers ]

Tammy leaves the office, drives 26km due north, then turns onto a second highway and continues in a directiion of 30.0 degrees north of east for 62km. What's her total displacement from the office? I can't quite understand how to do this since there's no 90 degree angle. The textbook went over...

General physics, vectors [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose a bear travels 2 km/hr due east for 30 minutes, 4km/ hr northeast for 15 minutes then 6 km/hr due west for 15 minutes. a) what distance did the bear travel during this trip? b) what was the bear's average speed during the trip? c) at the end of the trip, what displacement (magnitude and...

Vectors in physics [ 3 Answers ]

A swimmer is capable of swimming 0.50 m/s in still water. If she aims her body directly across a 75 m-wide river whose current is 0.35 m/s, how far downstream (from a point opposite her starting point) will she land?

Physics of adding and subtracting vectors [ 1 Answers ]

30. A jogger travels a route that has two parts, the first is a displacement A of 2.50 km due south and the second involves a displacement B that points due east. (a) the resultant displacement of A + B has a magnitude of 3.75 km. what is the magnitude of B, and what is the direction of A + B...

View more questions Search