Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madisondobie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Is my dog obese
    I have a three year old doberman she weighs 37.5kg and my vet says she's obese and should look like a greyhound!!
    She is 28inchs to her shoulder and is well muscled she is exercised every day with free running chasing tennis balls - she eats two packets of natures menu a day and has a pigs ear twice a week, the vet wants to put her on a diet but she is not a greedy dog some days she eats all her food the next she wants nothing!
    I would agree she may be slightly overweight but not Obese and should dobermans look like greyhounds?
    Thanks for any help
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Dogs vary so much that a weight and the height at the shoulder are hard to go on. It doesn't allow for the well muscled dog you say she is. Better to follow this illustrated guide, http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx

Over weight shortens dogs' lives and brings early health problems. The dog guide school I volunteer for can't afford to spend the price of a nice new car replacing a dog that was allowed to be over weight. They teach checking the ribs, and published the link above in their newsletter. There is a lot of disinformation on websites, but that is one you can trust.

So a little more exercise, less food, or both, and she may be better off. I don't think Dobes should be the big solid dogs many Rotts and Labs are. Of course, it is pathetic how many Labs are overweight.
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Nov 7, 2006, 11:57 AM
    www.dogbreedinfo.com says the average weight of a female doberman between 24 and 26 inches long should be about 66-88 lbs or 30-40 kg.
    GermanSoccerGrl1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2006, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by madisondobie
    I have a three year old doberman she weighs 37.5kg and my vet says shes obese and should look like a greyhound!!!
    She is 28inchs to her shoulder and is well muscled she is exercised every day with free running chasing tennis balls - she eats two packets of natures menu a day and has a pigs ear twice a week, the vet wants to put her on a diet but she is not a greedy dog some days she eats all her food the next she wants nothing!?
    I would agree she may be slightly overweight but not Obese and should dobermans look like greyhounds??
    Thanks for any help
    Even if your dog is a little over weight you still need to put her on a diet so this doesn't lead to obesity then to death!!
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 7, 2006, 09:14 PM
    Has the vet done any bloodwork? Thyroid issues come to mind, as they can cause increases weight gain.
    madisondobie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Thanks for the advice, her ribs are not visible but can be felt. She has no problems exercising chasing tennis balls non stop, I will put her on the light version of her food as obviously I want her to live as long as possible, she is not as big as a rottie but is as tall as a male dobie and looks like a male so was just wondering if my vet was wrongly trying to get her to the female weight even though she is bigger as in taller and deeper chested then most females, she is 70lbs.
    My vet just annoyed me with the "she should look like a greyhound" bit as I'm sure they are meant to be bigger then that otherwise how would they fend off a burglar.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 08:58 PM
    Too many people are obsessed with charts and averages. I hope your vet isn't one of them. Make sure her belly tucks up behind the ribs. I was caught a few weeks ago by the professional from the service dog school my 3 1/2 old lab Holly belongs to. Her ribs were fine, and she nipped in at side, but she still had too much belly. She was pleased to see Holly doing better when she visited today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Morgan dog - stuffed toy dog [ 19 Answers ]

I am looking for an older stuffed dog, a child's toy, that had a rubber squeaker in the nose,  We used to call it a "Morgan" dog,  it had big plactic eyes that had loose black centers,  any info on this toy would be nice.

Roommate's dog but my dog [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved in with my new roommate (we were co-workers) and we both have a dog. Within a week, her dog bit mine. This was a few days ago... and I am not sure if I should take him to the vet... I have been putting hydrogen peroxide on it daily... and still bubble white after days of cleaning...

Hope to help dog cope with loss of second dog? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in St. Louis MO and have had 2 dogs, Brandie and Alix, for 11 years. I brought them home about 1 week apart from each other, so they have been together for 11 years. They were very close. Alix was very close to Brandie. She would only go outside if Brandie went out. Would only...

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

View more questions Search