Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    18carat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 02:47 AM
    Antique ring markings
    Wonderign if anyone can possibly help me please?

I have an old ring that was passed down from (so I was told) my great grandmother, to my grandmother, to me... so approx ? 80-100 years old I assume?

It has some marking that I can find any info about, I tried talking to some jewelers about it but no one seems to recognise the markings, but then again I am in Australia, and the ring is from England I think or France as that's where our ancestry is...

Anyway its gold with pearls and rough cut diamonds, that much I know.

it has a 18 stamped into it on the band in a rectangle shape, it also has another rectangle shape with what looked possibly a ?fish shape stamped into it. It also has a triangle with an S in it... but Im sure its not silver!

On the other side of the band (still inside though) there appears to be numbers stamped into it... can't make them out thouhg as they are badly worn... maybe a 5 and an 0? Possibly some more hard to tell!

Anyone have any ideas or link to where I can find info? I want to find out more and get it properly valued but in australia (perth) that's near impossible... no one here seems to know about it at all!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 06:27 AM

What Jewellers did you take it to?

Unfortunately I am in Tassie so I don't know any Jewellers in Perth but one thing I have learn is stay away from the chain stores!
    I took a ring into Prouds to have it valued and they were completely useless!

Try smaller, specialty jewellery stores, ones that custom make their own jewellery on the premises.

Below is a link to a site about gold jewellery and it has what the European markings mean, I hope it helps.

If you are having a hard time reading the markings get an old tooth brush and gently try to clean out the symbols or if you are game try a needle so you can read them better.

Gold Jewelry - How to Buy Gold Jewelry
    18carat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Hi thanks for that :)

I can't recall exactly, as it was back when I was around 18... and Im 40 now!lol
    One was a small speciailist jeweller in Vic Park perth... he knew the most but not enough to say where it was from... did try the chain jewellers but as you said they didn't have a clue!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ring markings [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I have a gold looking ring with a silver stone. On the inside the ring is marked 375AGR and U67 Can you tell me what these marking mean? Many thanks for you help... in advance

Antique wedding ring markings [ 1 Answers ]

I've just bought an antique wedding ring -- I'm told that it's from the 30's-50's. My jeweler thinks that the markings are european, but isn't certain. I'd love to find out more about its origin. The markings say that it's 0.900 Plat and 0.100 Irid. On the opposite side of the band, there...

Ring markings [ 1 Answers ]

I broght a ring and wanted to know what the marking on it mean,markings are 18k GP. I know that 18k means 18 karet but not sure on GP.I think the P is something to do with the diamond.am I right? The ring also has an amethyst,could it be to do with that?

View more questions Search