Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joexander Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 01:46 AM
    Windows\services.exe registry entries
    Hi all. My antivirus found and quarantined windows\services.exe which I understand is a virus and not the system file. With it quarantined however, when I boot I keep getting the error "Could not find windows\services.exe. Please check filename etc." I've searched HKLM and HKCU Run folders but did not see any entries that had this same filename. I have also checked my Startup Tab in Msconfig and found nothing there either.

Can someone help me out?Is there another registry folder I should be looking in?Or another filename I should be looking for?

Thanks very much.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 7, 2009, 02:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joexander View Post
    Is there another registry folder i should be looking in?
    If the reference is in the registry, an easy way to find it is by searching for it using the registry editor's Edit Menu > Find and Find Next commands. Also, sometimes malware will register as a browser helper object and have numerous registry references.
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Nov 7, 2009, 08:03 PM

I think you might have had a file infecting virus.

Open your antivirus, go to your quarantine. Look for services.exe.
    If it is there, just check the virus name next to it.
    Go to the antivirus's website and read up about the virus.

You see normally a virus would manifest on your PC as a file, with it's own name etc... Example LoveBug.exe.
    When the Avirus detects it, it will quarantine or remove it. And all is well.

A file infecting virus will attach itself to your file's data. Example,
    CALC.EXE (file size 560KB) is your pc's calculator program. The virus attaches itself to CALC.EXE and now the file size is 620KB.
    Obviously your antivirus will detect CALC.EXE as a virus and remove the file. Now your PC sits without a calculator.
    Most antivirus companies have special removal tools for these viruses listed on the're websites.

Here is the tricky bit, you will have to retore all the infected files, basically infecting the PC again.
    But now running the removal tool, it will save your application and just remove the virus.

Hope this helps...
    joexander Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 03:15 AM
    Hi guys, I appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantHillsSA View Post
    I think you might have had a file infecting virus.

A file infecting virus will attach itself to your file's data. Example,
    CALC.EXE (file size 560KB) is your pc's calculator program. The virus attaches itself to CALC.EXE and now the file size is 620KB.
    Obviously your antivirus will detect CALC.EXE as a virus and remove the file. Now your PC sits without a calculator.
    Most antivirus companies have special removal tools for these viruses listed on the're websites.

I understand what you mean but I don't think it applies in my case as the actual system file is found in the path windows\system32\services.exe and not windows\services.exe.

Still looking for a fix for this.
    jolin_ee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 09:47 PM
    I've no idea,but if you want to optimise your computer,you can use tuneup360

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows registry [ 3 Answers ]

I am having a problem with some software that does not work... I have been told that something in my registry is stopping it from working.. The software I am using I Belarc Advisor... It looks like your windows registry is damaged. The problem is with the ...

Windows Registry error [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post and I am not very computer literate. I have been getting a lot of error messages so I decided to reinstall windows xp. This erased all my files and everything like I wanted it to. I have the internet back up and working now but I keep having a windows registry error. From...

Windows registry error [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my computer had problems with error popups and trojan popups all the time so I decided to reinstall windows and everything is fine now except I keep getting a windows registry error. I've done this one other time and the Comcast guy set up everything for me and I can't find out how to finish the...

Windows/Registry Error [ 8 Answers ]

I have gotten twice in the last month or so an error message (upon startup) to the effect: Windows had had a problem accessing the registry. It will fix the problem and restart. The only option I'm given is to click OK. Then it says it is restoring an old version of the registry. On restart, I...

View more questions Search