Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dessaml View Post
    Take into consideration the amount of hyperpigmentation or scarring. If you have a few marks here and there then yes, 0.025% is the way to go, but if you're trying to correct a lot of damage then you'll need 0.1%.....Also if you're a vet at lightening, chemical peels, microderm and such then go for the higher stuff, but if you're a skin virgin maybe start lower. I bought 0.1% and didnt bother with the lower junk, but I was trying to undue YEARS of heavy hyperpigmentation damage.
    I ordered a 0.1% retin-a for my elbows, knees, and on the back of my arms that has a lot of hyperpigmentation and ingrown hair bumps, still waiting for it to come. 0.05% was strong enough for my face, wished I got a milder facial soap.

Dessaml and Divaforlyfe what facial soap do you use while using retin-a, or any other peels?
    divaforlyfe Posts: 39, Reputation: 7

Nov 15, 2009, 10:46 PM

You don't want to use any other acid based products, I have a glycolic acid wash that I use and it has really helped exf. My skin but I don't use it when I do a strong peel you want to wait a week I cheated and used a Salicylic acid wash but it was mild to help rid the ingrown hairs and acne , I had bad little bumps that are diminishing, I think it was from steroids or hydroquinon which I don't put on my face anymore, I would use gentle and non drying washes, but when you order there is a facial wash that should come with the peel,
    dessaml Posts: 210, Reputation: 9

Nov 16, 2009, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    I ordered a 0.1% retin-a for my elbows, knees, and on the back of my arms that has alot of hyperpigmentation and ingrown hair bumps, still waiting for it to come. 0.05% was strong enough for my face, wished I got a milder facial soap.

Dessaml and Divaforlyfe what facial soap do you use while using retin-a, or anyother peels?
    I used a 70% lactic acid peel, and I use The Microdelivery exfoliator on my face... that stuff is AMAZING, I got it at Sephora... kinda pricey though
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 05:42 PM
    Whoah Dessaml 70% lactic acid peel! Did it burn? Did you use iton your face or body? Do you have completely clear skin now?
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Afro13Queen have you made a decision of what to get? In my opinion, if you have sensitive skin (like me) or have minimal experience with peels I would suggest starting with less strength and work your way up from what your able to tolerate. As everyone's skin is different and some are able to handle more than others. For me, I doubt I will be going beyond 0.05% retin-a for a looong time, for my face that is. My body may be able to handle higher strength. My retin-a has helped my previous dark acne spots lighten up quite much on my face within 2 weeks. So, I'm guesing within the next 2 months I will see great improvement and closer to flawless skin and spot free finally.

Other than that, are you still feeling melancholy and what have you done to help with this?
    afro13queen Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Nov 16, 2009, 06:56 PM
    Afro13Queen have you made a decision of what to get? In my opinion, if you have sensitive skin (like me) or have minimal experience with peels I would suggest starting with less strength and work your way up from what your able to tolerate. As everyone's skin is different and some are able to handle more than others. For me, I doubt I will be going beyond 0.05% retin-a for a looong time, for my face that is. My body may be able to handle higher strength. My retin-a has helped my previous dark acne spots lighten up quite much on my face within 2 weeks. So, I'm guesing within the next 2 months I will see great improvement and closer to flawless skin and spot free finally.

Other than that, are you still feeling melancholy and what have you done to help with this?
    FIRST OFF I Got to SAY THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS COMMENTED SO FAR! I JuST GOT HOME AND CAME STRAIGHT TO THE COMPUTER!

@Golden Girl

I have sensitive skin. So Im thinking the 0.05% may be the way to go. I am very use dto using AHA though, because I used to use a soap with it a while ago when I was deep into the process. I also was prescribed tretinoin a while ago, before I knew that it could help with skin lightening... (Now don't I feel stupid). But Im not used to peels AT ALL, so you could be right, and I think 0.05% is the way.

Im not feeling that sad anymore because Im actually seeing results with the Neutrogena stuff, if it wasn't for that Id prob be crying right now.. :( but My spots on my face are pretty minimal though now... They are on the outer parts of my face, so they CAN be covered with hair, but I just WANT clear skin no matter how the hair is worn, you know?

Also, I have to ask what Vitamin C can do, because I stated earlier that I bought a Vitamin C serum and powder and I just wanted to know how I can incoporate that into my retin a reggie...
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 07:03 PM
    Glad to hear that your doing better.
    It'sANewDay is using a vitamin C serum, and maybe some others are too https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/skin-l...rk-415681.html
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/skin-l...-c-411848.html

I haven't tried a serum yet, just taking liquid vit. C 1,000mg.

Nov 16, 2009, 07:08 PM

Oh Ok! Im reading those now...

Can I use my Retin a AND my Neutrogena? Or will it be strong enough to use on its own? I have a soap that's from F&W and its an exfoliation soap. Can I use that with the Retin A?
    Itss A New Day Posts: 163, Reputation: 8

Nov 16, 2009, 07:15 PM
    Hi Afroqueen I just started using a Vitamin C serum and boy let me tell you I am loving my face these days; I also use retin a micro 0.1% so being that you are starting fresh with retin a maybe you should see how your skin tolerates it first then maybe use the vitamin C serum once a week to start and work up from there, because trust me with the retin a you will peel but with retin a and vitamin c omg I was peeling like crazy today, but my skin has become a bit tolerant to the retin a so that's why I added the vitamin c serum into my regime to boost my skin up a little bit. Trust me you will glow and you will love it. Good luck and keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by afro13queen View Post
    FIRST OFF I GOTTA SAY THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS COMMENTED SO FAR! I JuST GOT HOME AND CAME STRAIGHT TO THE COMPUTER!

@Golden Girl

I have sensitive skin. So Im thinking the 0.05% may be the way to go. I am very use dto using AHA tho, becuz I used to use a soap with it a while ago when I was deep into the process. I also was prescribed tretinoin a while ago, before I knew that it could help with skin lightening.....(Now dont I feel stupid). But Im not used to peels AT ALL, so u could be right, and I think 0.05% is the way.

Im not feeling that sad anymore due to the fact that Im actually seeing results with the Neutrogena stuff, if it wasnt for that Id prob be crying right now.. :( but My spots on my face are pretty minimal tho now...They are on the outer parts of my face, so they CAN be covered with hair, but I just WANT clear skin no matter how the hair is worn, ya kno?

Also, I have to ask what Vitamin C can do, becuz I stated earlier that I bought a Vitamin C serum and powder and I just wanted to know how I can incoporate that into my retin a reggie...

Nov 16, 2009, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Itss A New Day View Post
    Hi Afroqueen I just started using a Vitamin C serum and boy let me tell you I am loving my face these days; I also use retin a micro 0.1% so being that you are starting off fresh with retin a maybe you should see how your skin tolerates it first then maybe use the vitamin C serum once a week to start and work up from there, because trust me with the retin a you will peel but with retin a and vitamin c omg I was peeling like crazy today, but my skin has become a bit tolerant to the retin a so that's why I added the vitamin c serum into my regime to boost my skin up a little bit. Trust me you will glow and you will love it. Good luck and keep us updated.
    Oh SNAP! Im excited! Ok, so retin a first, let skin adapt to it, then try out the vitamin c... IM READY!! *does Cabbage patch* CLEAR SKIN! WHOOP! WHOOP! CLEAR SKIN! WHOOP! WHOOP!

Nov 16, 2009, 07:36 PM

Thanks Golden girl and It's a New Day for the advice and speedy relpies! :) :)

Nov 18, 2009, 09:01 PM
    BUMP!
    Itss A New Day Posts: 163, Reputation: 8

Nov 18, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Thanks Golden girl and Its a New Day for the advice and speedy relpies!! :) :)
    No problem we're all here to help each other :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 11:32 PM
    Lol... yes I agree. Afro13queen have you started any of the serums yet?
    Lightenup2009 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sagluva View Post
    Yea i just heard about retin a myself when i came on this board. I ordered mine from alldaychemist.com. their products are very cheap like $2.00 for a tube of retin a and 4%hq. shipping is 25 dollars regardless of how much u order so its best to stock up. i use the exclusive fair and white whitenizer gel and serum. I realised that fiar and white lightened me alot but it did not get rid of my dark spots so i am using it with retin a which is lightening my dark spots coz of the peeling. I got my vitamin c toner and serum for a grocery store. The one i got is by organics. very good. If u mix the fair and white gel with some hq and retin a, and use a vitamin c toner and serum u'll get great results fast. atleast it works for me.. keep us updated on wut u decide to use.:)
    Hi do u add a HQ cream to the Fair and white gel and serum and the retin a gel to get fast lightening results? Please help .

Nov 22, 2009, 04:56 PM
    lol...yes I agree. Afro13queen have you started any of the serums yet?
    The Retin a is in the mail on the way.. I haven't started the serums yet... Honestly, I don't know where I would fit it in into my acne steps... :( I eye it every time I use my Proactiv... or my neutrogena visibly even... Im SOOOOO confused on what to use first, or last (like in which steps to do it you know?):confused: :confused:

This is the stuff in my bathroom Im eyeing:

Fair and White Exclusive cream gel
    Fair and white exfoliating soap
    Proactiv EVERYTHING
    Neutrogena cleansr and moisturizer..
    The Vit C serums of COURSE...
    And my 55+H
    And when the retin a arrives, that too! (should be here in like a day now.. ) :eek:

I really wish you or someone could tell me what to push to the side and what to add to a regimen for the best results.. because I honestly feel like some of this stuff is going to cancel the others out.. le sigh... :rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2009, 09:41 PM

the Vit C serums of COURSE....
    and my 55+H
    and when the retin a arrives, that too! (should be here in like a day now..) :eek:

I really wish you or someone could tell me what to push to the side and what to add to a regimen for the best results..cuz I honestly feel like some of this stuff is going to cancel the others out.. le sigh.....:rolleyes:
    Yeah, I wouldn't use all at the same time on the same areas nor do you want to over-exfoliate and dry out your skin.

This is what I would try:
    -Neutrogena cleanser (morning) ---does the moisturizer come separately?
    -f&w exclusive cream gel (morning/evening)
    -f&w exfoliating soap or the proactive (evening)
    -you can alternate the retin-a and vitamin c gel back and forth (evening)
    -55H+ I would use on another part of the body where your not using the f&w gel so you'll know which is lightening, I'm using mines on my neck

You can always tweek it to what works best for you and if your skin begins to become irritated, try cutting back a bit.

Nov 23, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Yeah, I wouldn't use all at the same time on the same areas nor do you want to over-exfoliate and dry out your skin.

This is what I would try:
    -Neutrogena cleanser (morning) ---does the moisturizer come separately?
    -f&w exclusive cream gel (morning/evening)
    -f&w exfoliating soap or the proactive (evening)
    -you can alternate the retin-a and vitamin c gel back and forth (evening)
    -55H+ I would use on another part of the body where your not using the f&w gel so you'll know which is lightening, I'm using mines on my neck

You can always tweek it to what works best for you and if your skin begins to become irritated, try cutting back a bit.
    Yup, the Neutrogena moisturizer comes separate.It has an spf of like 35, which isn't that high.

I swear Im about to print these steps out u gave me and put it on my bathroom mirror.. :p
    Thank you so much GG.. I think this will work out just fine.. :)

Nov 23, 2009, 06:18 AM

@GG

One more question! So when the retin a comes in the mail, because of the strength of it, should I apply it BEFORE I put anything else on my face? (like after the cleanser) Because it does make the face peel right?

Ok that's it.. I PROMISE. :)
    Boricua1 Posts: 179, Reputation: 14

Nov 23, 2009, 12:08 PM
    The Retin a is in the mail on the way..I havent started the serums yet...Honestly, I dont know where I would fit it in into my acne steps...:( I eye it everytime I use my Proactiv...or my neutrogena visibly even....Im SOOOOO confused on what to use first, or last (like in which steps to do it ya kno?):confused: :confused:

This is the stuff in my bathroom Im eyeing:

fair and white exfoliating soap
    proactiv EVERYTHING
    the Vit C serums of COURSE....
    and my 55+H
    and when the retin a arrives, that too! (should be here in like a day now..) :eek:

I really wish you or someone could tell me what to push to the side and what to add to a regimen for the best results..cuz I honestly feel like some of this stuff is going to cancel the others out.. le sigh.....:rolleyes:
    I would reallly just use the retin a for the acne... leave the proactive and the neutrogena, and even the exfoliating soap... just get a facial scrubbing spong... (one that's mildly abrasive to take off the peelings doing washing and use a good facial moisterizer and whatever lighteners for your face... for me the retin A had been clearing up everything lovely... but be careful... it's true it does get a bit worse before it gets better, with the peeling and pulling up the acne under the skin... but not for long.. so my acne cleared up significantly in ten days... and there's still a but of peeling oncertain days, but only at night time aprox when the 24 hor mark hits from when I applied it... or if I use it twice a day. By the 12 hr mark...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom is depressed and she's making me depressed what do I do! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I am 14 years old and my mom is depressed and is making me depressed I started working with her and she freaked out at me because I didn't sweep properly, she brought me home and just left. How do I help her and help myself! I'm starting to think of suicide but I can't just leave...

What the hell! [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everyone, please give me some insight on this. My girlfriend of 3 years broke up with me on my birthday 3 months ago today. She was a very dominate person, she wanted the truth about everything no matter how small the subject. I was married before for 12 years and have a step-son...

In hell. [ 4 Answers ]

I work for the VA. I work with an irritating individual. She quests for power and does everything to get it. I was detailed to another department which I loved. Now I am back And although I have spoken with her superiors, she is still quietly making my (our) Workplace a hostile one. For...

Sis from hell [ 3 Answers ]

My mom died last yr , my sister who's lives there not worked in 28 yrs , substance both drugs & achol. Now moms got a loan for what we or my other sibling knew nothing about , now its behind light off & other utilites she's the only 1 that lives in the state of mo she sells drugs outa the house &...

What the hell can I do ! [ 12 Answers ]

Hey guys and ladis.. I know that so silly for what I ask for.. but any way I'll talk ;]. It's about Social relations , I feel like am afraid from all people around me.. stuck into my room.. Sorry about that, 2 post like the same question.. But for me no , really I feel scared when m going...

View more questions Search