Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 06:34 PM
    Laptop won't connect to router~
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/wirele...ns-413445.html
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Dec 30, 2009, 06:51 PM

With a cable or wirelessly? If both, try a friend's laptop and if it works then your router is faulty or just needs to be reset.
    Jessica-chen Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2010, 09:18 PM

Hi, if your router works well on other computer. You can try the following action.

Since the other computer connects to the router, the router is probably not at fault. It's the laptop that needs to be checked.
    I would suggest hard wire the laptop to the router first and click on Start -- Run . Type in cmd and in the command prompt box, type in ipconfig. Once you see a IP address in this range.. 192.168.. x.x , this shows the router is connected to the router. Further confirmation is done by typing ping 192.168.x.x.( the IP Address of the default gateway from your earlier ipconfig command ) If you get four lines of replies, then it means the router is indeed communicating with the router.
    If it doesn't say reply from.. and instead says Request timed out.. it means there is no proper connection from the router to the laptop. Try antoher port in the router or try another cable. That could help .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I connect my laptop to router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I connect my laptop to the hardline router. My hardline router is connected to 2 of my computers and I would like to try and connect my laptop. Help please

Can't connect to my laptop via wireless router? [ 4 Answers ]

?How do I look at my wireless router settings on a dlink di-524? Also, What can you look at if you are renew your ip address?

Laptop will not connect to the router [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dell latitude D600. It will nort connect to my linksys router. We have 3 other laptops that do connect.

Connect a linysys router to my laptop [ 1 Answers ]

I get to step 4 (last step) of connecting my router to my laptop and plug it in the wall and it still says waiting for router. Do I need 2 ethernet cables or one? Where do I put the 2nd ethernet cable anyway:confused: :( SO if I disconnect from internet then I'm not connected and the router will...

View more questions Search