Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Big Issue with Wireless Connections!
    Ok I am helping my girlfriends mom try and fix her laptop. One day she got on and it wouldn't connect to the internet, the icon for wirless wasn't on the bottom taskbar. I went into device manager and all network adapters were working properly (according to their properties) I then went into network connections and it showed nothing, no WLAN Adapter, no Ethernet Adapter, no dial-up etc... I then went online and tried figuring out what I could do and I went into services.msc and made sure the proper services were running.

All the services they had me make sure were running were disabled therefore I enabled them and started them. That brought up the icon on the bottom taskbar. I then started the zero wirless config service because it wasn't allowing me to search for wirless networks. Then it after starting that service it let search for wirless networks but its not finding any although I know we have some available because I am on it right now!

Any ideas?

Rick

P.S. So the PC is not finding any wirless nstworks.!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 08:36 PM

First what does ipconfig /all have to say?

Second use the free program netstumbler to see what's going on.

Make sure tcp/ip is enabled and see if you get valid addresses assigned by the router. None with 254 in one of the first 2 numbers.

Check the keys and the order of the wireless networks.

Use ipconfig /release and or ipconfig /renew
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Nov 7, 2009, 06:24 PM

Try disabling the Zero Wireless and exiting 3 party wireless connection software...
    Set the setting to "Let Windows to Manage wireless connections".

Also make sure that you enable the wireless on the laptop, its usually a switch on the front or on the keyboard.
    Hope this works...

Cheers
    Grant
    Kelly62u Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 10:55 PM

Hmm... Pro Intel Wireless? Yeah, go download the drivers at the laptops manufacture website and use Windows to mange wireless. Ditch the 3rd party software. Also you may want to reset your encryption just in case your wireless authentication got all messes up. That requires connecting via Ethernet to access the firmware of the router. Then you'll have to go around to each node and re-setup authentication for wep or what ever you selected. Helps if you write down settings / sid / password. Later burn it.

Kelly62u
    Networking Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 12:24 PM

Ok here is what I discovered. I went into services.msc and discovered that they were ALL turned off. Every single service was disabled.

My first thought was a malware of some sort. I ran malwarebytes in safe mode and it did find some adware, spyware etc... but didn't fix my issue.

KISS-Your idea won't help because it's not an issue of me not rescieving an IP address. The issue was that I can't view any wirless networks although there are two in range.

Grant- If you read the bottom of my original post I state that I did what you advised already. I went into disable Zero Wireless but it already was so I simply enabled it. (didnt work) I disabled it (still didn't work). I am lost.

Kelly- There is no encryption, there is no security on the router at all, they live in a secluded area so no need to worry of people stealing there internet.

When I go into connect to a wireless networks there are none that are listed although I'll get a balloon poiting to the icon saying there are wirless networks in range but when I click on the balloon to go into the connections none are listed. I refresh the list but nada. Any more ideas guys!

Thanks in Advance!

Rick
    Networking Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Also something that I forgot to mention was that when I disable WZC I can't look at any wirless networks because I get a message saying "Windows cannot configure the wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to manage this wirless connection, use this software. If you want Windows to configure this wirless connection, start the WZC service."

Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

What does the term ''BIG'' really mean [ 6 Answers ]

Well I just wanted to know because I think it can mean different things like tall, fat... and so on. Wats your opinion

Total connections on one wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

I have a comcast netgear wireless router and it allows me max 5 devices to connect to it. In my home I have more then 5 connections to make to go on internet. I have connected a 2wire wireless router but somehow cannot get to connect all the PCs/Laptops/PDAs connect to the 2wire router. Can...

Wireless and non wireless connections [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a laptop from my employer to use at home and at work. At work it is networked via a wireless connection and broadband Internet access is via this network. I took it home and set up the connection to work with my own ISP (NTL) and that worked fine. The problem comes when I take it...

View more questions Search