Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ivan11111 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Can prescription drugs affect hearing?
    This is really bizarre and difficult to explain, but here goes. Yesterday I was having stomach problems so I went to the doctor. While I was there, I was given four different types of drugs: Diciclomine, Rantidine, Promethazine, and TMP/SMX DS (antibiotic). I was also given an injection. The reason I'm mentioning this is because, something very strange happened to me yesterday. For some reason, I here everything at a lower pitch than usual (Ex: If I'm listening to someone play an instrument and they play a "C", I hear a "B"). I know this sounds very strange (and perhaps confusing), but that's the easiest way for me to describe it. My question is, is it possible for any one of the drugs could cause something like this to happen? I could here just fine until yesterday. So, if anybody know anything about my problem, can you please let me know, this is making me very worried. Thank you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 02:08 PM
    None of these meds are ototoxic (causing hearing problems). Is it possible that you have fluid behind your ears causing this sensation?

Nov 6, 2009, 02:15 PM

I don't think so. Someone suggested that having too much ear wax could be the issue, but I doubt it. Anyway, have you ever heard of somebody else having this problem?

Nov 6, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    None of these meds are ototoxic (causing hearing problems). Is it possible that you have fluid behind your ears causing this sensation?
    I forgot to mention that I'm also taking ampitrexyl. Do you know if it's possible that this could be the cause my problem?
    Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Not with these medications. Now, it is possible with other medications that are ototoxic, but none of these are.

Nov 6, 2009, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Not with these medications. Now, it is possible with other medications that are ototoxic, but none of these are.
    Well, in that case, do you know of anything at all that could cause it to happen?
    Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Not without knowing your medical history or doing a physical.

It could be caused by many different things, but you will have to see your doctor for a proper diagnosis.

Nov 6, 2009, 02:29 PM

I see. Well, thanks anyway. I just hope this problem is only temporary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snorting non-prescription drugs [ 8 Answers ]

I have a son that is confirmed by a friend to snorting prescription drugs. I am thinking ADHD meds and Vicodin. I just can't figure out how he would get his hands on the vicodin. Do people snort non-prescription drugs? If so what? I read that Vicodin can make your face swollen. I have seen...

Prescription drugs and Hair drug screenings [ 2 Answers ]

I recently has a tumor removed from my nasopharynx my doctor prescribed prescribed and I was given prescribed with prescribed to numb nose to allow the fiberoptic instrument to pass through my nasal passage with no pain. I recently had a hair drug test completed and I tested positive for cocaine...

View more questions Search