Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missyrae Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 12:35 PM
    How do I get my ex husbands name off my sons birth certificate
    I have a 4 yr. old son and his biological dad and I are together now. I was married at the time I got pregnant and didn't know who was the dad. I got a divorce and in my divorce it states that my ex is not my sons father. My ex is on my sons birth certificate and my son has his last name as well. His biological dad and I did a DNA test through the mail for peace of mind. We want to take my ex husbands name off the birth certificate and put the biological dads name on it as well as change my sons last name to his biological dads name. We are planning to get married so should we just wait until after that to take care of this? I don't want to open up a child support case since we are together and he helps pay for a lot of things. We have a vehicle loan, bank account, lease, etc. together in both our names.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2009, 12:47 PM

You NEED to consult a Family Law attorney in your area. In many states, a child born to a married couple will automatically have the husband as the legal father. By signing the birth certificate, he acknowledged paternity, despite what was said in the divorce papers.

The most likely scenario is that the bio father will have to adopt the child, with the legal father's agreement. In many states, this means getting married first.

As you can see there are a number of factors at play here. By consulting with a local Family Law attorney, you can learn exactly what you need to do.

Remember a birth certificate is a legal document and only a court can approve changing it.

Nov 6, 2009, 12:52 PM

My exhusband has no problem with having his name removed from the because. He has nothing to do with us since the divorce.

Nov 6, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missyrae View Post
    My exhusband has no problem with having his name removed from the b/c. He has nothing to do with us since the divorce.
    That's not the point. I assumed that would be the case, but it may NOT be his choice. It depends on what the law says. If the law says he's the legal father, then he may not have any choice unless the bio father adopts.

Nov 6, 2009, 01:46 PM

I will have to research what Indiana law says about this.

Nov 6, 2009, 02:42 PM

This site is where you need to look.

Indiana Code TITLE 31, Article 14 Table of Contents

As I indicated the law states that your husband has the assumption of paternity and his being listed on the birth certificate means he's the legal father.

Furthermore, an action to change that is supposed to be filed within 2 years. However, since all parties are in agreement, that requirement can be waived.

Bottom line, is you need to get a court to change legal parentage. An adoption may not be necessary, but a paternity hearing with a court approved paternity test will be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get on my sons birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get on my sons birth certificate? My girlfriend is on it but I'm not at the moment.will it have any effect on my job money or benefits? As we don't live together.

Wanting to change sons last name father not on birth cert and not in sons life [ 10 Answers ]

I need help my son is almost 3 and his father will not sign the birth cert and will not pay child support and will not give up his rights I am a single mother who has kept myself off welfare because they will go after him and. I am not wanting anything from him, I am just wanting to take his last...

Father not around at birth. Want to add him to birth certificate/change babies name [ 1 Answers ]

At the time I had my son 5 months ago his father was not in the picture so I opted to not give him his last name or put his name on the birth certificate... however now his father came back and we are working things out.. how do I go about changing the birth certificate and my sons last name... do...

My 1 year old sons dad is a waster he's not on birth certificate does he have rights? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old son with a man called gary, he was not there for me in my pregnance he dened the child was his and I proved it with a dna test and he starts seeing my son for a few months then he doesn't show up for weeks then he turns up again when he wants to. Luckily my son is too young to...

Ammending my Sons birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and am try ing to amend my sons birth certificate to add the fathers name. A paternity test was done through the court and a paternity acknowledgement form was signed in court however a declaration of paterinty was never signed and now the father refuses to sign it (de doesn't...

View more questions Search