Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom3939 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Daughter coming home from college every weekend
    My daughter started as a freshman at college about 2 hours away in September. She appears to be quite happy there. However, she feels the need to come home at least every other weekend, sometimes every weekend. I don't think this is good for her. She does have a serious boyfriend who is a senior in high school here but he is happy to go out there to see her which he does sometimes. She is homesick some but she also seems happy. She claims by the end of the week she needs a break from her roommate and dorm room and wants to come home to rejuvenate. Is this healthy and should I be upset about it? I don't want to refuse to let her come home as we love her and want her to be happy. But I just don't think it's a good idea. I want her to settle in more on the weekends and not have the hassle of her going back and forth. I ove her and want to see her but this doesn't seem right to me.l
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 11:00 AM

Hello, it's a big adjustment for her,and as she gets older trips home will become less frequent,if she is a home bird,she most likely misses you and just that feeling of home... you her mother is home for her.

Also,there may be more going on at college and with her room mates then she is letting on,and she just might NEED somewhere to escape to at the weekends...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 11:01 AM
    You should be very happy that your daughter wants to come home. I know I would feel rejected if my daughter were only 2 hours away and did NOT want to come home on the weekends.

Nov 6, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Wow thinking about it like that really helps! Were VERY close and I can understand her need for transition time. There is another thing though. Sometimes she comes "home" but stays at her boyfriend's house. This gets me really upset. But my husband says if she was visiting him at his college (he is a senior in hgh school still) it wouldn't bother you so much. But to me its not the same as he is going to his home and it makes me feel bad. I can't forbid it as I have absolutely no say in it but I just don't like it... What do I do about that?

Nov 6, 2009, 02:02 PM

I meant to say... But to me its not the same as she is going to his home and it makes me feel bad

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inconsiderate college student daughter at home [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and I have a (soon to be) 21 year old daughter living at home. She will be entering her Junior year in college in the fall and has her own car which she baught herself and makes regular payments on. While in school full time, she also held down two jobs to pay for her car and add to a...

Leaving Buster home for the weekend [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old jack russel terrier/shepard mix puppy and we are going to my sister-in-laws house for the weekend. He is house broken but is he to young to leave outside by himself for 2-3 days? The weather at our house is suppose to be cool this weekend.

College age daughter is disrespectful and ungrateful. [ 13 Answers ]

(I accidentally posted this in the "teen" section so I'm re-posting here. Sorry - new to this whole thing... ) HELP. I've been a single mom for almost 10 years and I have single-handedly raised my almost 19-year-old daughter. She is in college now, living in an off-campus apartment, majoring...

View more questions Search