Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 04:49 AM
    Breathing in glass dust
    I bought an engraver today and was rather excited to try it out so as soon as I got home I ripped the packet open and started engraving some glass...

It wasn't until after I finished my little project I read the package saying that you should wear protective eyewear and a mask...

It was only a small project but I was working on it for maybe half an hour indoors.

Is there any risk of something nasty happening?

My throat feels itchy but I don't know if that is just me being paranoid now.

Thanks.

Oh and yes, I have definitely learnt my lesson and will always wear a mask now ;)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 04:53 AM
    I seriously doubt that using a home engraver to decorate some glass would create any real hazard as the amount of dust produced would be so minuscule. Probably wearing eye protection is a good idea but I don't really think you run the risk of any respiratory harm.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 04:58 AM

Thanks s_cianci.

I tend to worry too much :o
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 06:34 AM

http://www.dana-ridge.com.au/content...ed%20Glass.pdf
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 06:44 AM

Thank you KISS, that was very helpful!

I feel more at ease now, I will still wear the mask and glasses obviously but now I know the risk is nothing more than a little irritation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of glass panels and door on glass tiles [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed 6"x12" glass tiles for my shower room. The glass people came and installed the frameless glass panels and doors for the shower. They had no problem drilling holes for the hinges, but after they installed the panel and door, some of the glass tiles around the hinges started to crack...

Window glass for fixed glass opening [ 3 Answers ]

Added openings to wall in studio apt. Material is wood frame stucco, with wood jambs, interior is pigmented plaster. This has an adobe look and plaster will terminate at glass with no visible moldings. Opening size is approx. 12" x 40", will bed glass in resilient glazing. What would be the choice...

Why God? Why am I breathing? [ 5 Answers ]

We've been dating for 7 years. We've been through a lot, more than we both can put behind us. I am to needy, I don't leave the house, I don't work, or have any friends, So I rely on him for all my happiness. I have pushed him away, he doesn't spend time with me, he is not compassionate,...

View more questions Search