Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cristy85 Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Nov 5, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Meth addicts ever recover?
    My Bf of 5 years gets out or rehab soon due to a meth addiction he has had for years. He asked me to move with him due to his reputation here and drugs. We have a daughter together, Im still unsure if I should make such a big commitment, if he will be able to stay sober. My parents also help me get a wonderful house, so if I move I loose the house.If we move he will have no connects like he did here, and that would be the whole point of moving, because according to him its meth central here where we currently live.I guess my question is do meth addicts ever fully recover? And if they have no connects is it possible to get connects again?:confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2009, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristy85 View Post
    I guess my question is (1) do meth addicts ever fully recover? And if they have no connects (2) is it possible to get connects again?
    Hello Cristy:

(1) Sure they do. (2) Sure it is.

excon
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2009, 02:56 AM

Running from an addiction isn't facing the problem,it's avoiding it all together(been there,done that),that's called a geographical cure, problem is,all your problems are still your problems,they don't leave just because you left a location.

If you think it would be better to stay for the welfare of the child and you,stay,put your foot down and tell him that he needs to face this head on.

I know of many who recover in their 'old haunts',changing those who they used to hang around with,changing the routines which dragged them back to those haunts,not doing the things which make it so they play in those old haunts, that's where growth begins and recovery blooms.
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Nov 7, 2009, 03:24 AM

Hi Cristy, Look over your last couple threads on this subject... There is some good food for thought.
    No telling if he will lick this struggle. I hope for the best for him.
    Try to think of the things in your life that you do have some control over. You are a Mom. That is the most important job you will ever have... your greatest gift.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 06:41 AM
    Yes, addicts do recover. I am one, and I am in successful recovery. However, yes it is the right thing to move away from the drugs. He will need to change every aspect of his life that had to do with him using. They( rehab) tell you to change "playmates, playgrounds,..."

He will need to go to either Alcoholics Anonymous, or Narcotics Anonymous, religiously as to stay clean. It is simply the best way to stay clean.

You need to go to this group:Nar-Anon Home

It is Nar-Anon, a support group for the family members of addicts. It will save your sanity.

Both of you will have your work cut out for you, but it can, and does, work.

Two thirds of the people that go through rehab will relapse. You must WORK to stay clean.

Any reputable counselor, or clinic, will tell you that he will need to get into a 12 step program like NA. Don't let him tell you otherwise.

An addiction is for life. You don't just get clean and that's it. It is a lifelong journey.

You need to understand that the "geographical cure" is not the answer to his problem. But he stands a better chance of staying clean if he doesn't have meth knocking on his door all day.

Good luck to you. Let us know how things are going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family memebers are ICE addicts [ 5 Answers ]

I have a brother-in-law and a sister-in-law and both are addicted to ICE or meth. They both smoke this in my mother-in-laws home! She has a incureable disease(sarcodiocious)! I believe this is making her sicker! I was wondering did anyone know the effects of second hand meth smoke. I would like to...

Songs for addicts. [ 12 Answers ]

Hello eveyone, I've had some trouble with drinking in the past and a still do a bit... so ill admit that However, I am going to school for music therapy. I have been working with substance abuse patients... My question to all of you is: what songs that you know of either now a days or...

This is a ? For recovering addicts. [ 10 Answers ]

I have a family member who is no longer apart of any aspect of my life. He has made bad decisions one after another and is a drug addict as well as an alcoholic. He just recently had his first child. My question is, for the recovering addicts, what was your rock bottom and how have you risen above...

Not everyone who needs meds are drug addicts [ 6 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with severe anxiety. For the last 5 years, I have been on a form of snake oil called Elavil. This drug does nothing to relieve my panic attacks, in fact it makes them worse! I've mentioned Ativan to my doctor. She gave me that, "OK druggie" look. She told me she did not...

Addictions in children of addicts [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone be addicted to control? I am thinking it might be a byproduct of being raised in a home with an addict and this is how it manifests in that person's life.

View more questions Search