Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scoobie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 07:29 AM
    Shower drain in basement floor
    Hello, I'm remodeling the bathroom in my basement. The bathroom now has a toilet & a sink. I just moved in this home. Under the sink cabinet there is what looks like a drian pipe that sticks up from the floor. This is not being used, the drain for the sink is pipe on a seprate pipe. The pipe I'm asking about is 18" from the wall and sticks up from below the floor about a foot high. If you look into the pipe you can see water. Is this a drian pipe or a vent and can I cut my basement floor and make this a drain for a shower.
    Thanks, Scoobie
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 10, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Hey Scoobie,

Run a stick down to the bottom of the pipe after first pouring a gallon of water down it. If you yhave about 3 or 4 inches of water on the stick you have a trap down there and are roughed in for a shower. It should be wet vented through the lavatory. You will not need to cut the cement to install a shower. You sound like you're set to go.
    Good luck, Tom

Nov 14, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobie
    Hello, I'm remodeling the bathroom in my basement. The bathroom now has a toilet & a sink. I just moved in this home. Under the sink cabinet there is what looks like a drian pipe that sticks up from the floor. this is not being used, the drain for the sink is pipe on a seprate pipe. The pipe I'm asking about is 18" from the wall and sticks up from below the floor about a foot high. If you look into the pipe you can see water. Is this a drian pipe or a vent and can I cut my basement floor and make this a drain for a shower.
    Thanks, Scoobie
    Thanks Speedball1. The drain I'm talking about is sticking up from the floor about a foot high. This leads me to believe it is intended for a sink drian. The shower I'm going to put in will about 5' from this drain. I plan on cutting the floor and extending the drian about 5'. Can I do this? I'm assuming the drian is already vented as it was rough in when the house was built. Is this safe to assume.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2006, 01:59 PM
    . "I plan on cutting the floor and extending the drian about 5'. Can I do this? I'm assuming the drian is aready vented as it was rough in when the house was built. Is this safe to assume."

Yes and no! Yes you may extend the drain line and no you can not assume that you have a vent in place. As a rule a basement rough in does not include a vent. Check out the drain using the stick method. Never take anything for granted. Regards, Tom

Nov 14, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Thanks so much Speedball. I tried the stick method had about 4" of water. You are 100% correct when you said " never take anything for granted ". Hope to be cutting this weekend.
    Thanks again!
    Scoobie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Floor Drain Back Up [ 3 Answers ]

House is a one storey with finished basement (older) it has a floor drain in front of the washer/dryer , and it has been backing up. Two months ago we had some issues with the drain in which the water level was almost to the top of the drain(floor level)and during washing clothes soap bubbles would...

Basement Floor Drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a floor drain in the basement which appears to be dried out. When I put water down the drain it just sat there for a couple of days before drying out. Could the drain have a blockage and, if so, how do I fix it. I'm concerned because the drain is the only apparent relief from water in the...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and wish to install a basement shower and use the existing floor drain in the basement to connect the shower basin drain to it. Is that OK to do? What problems might I encounter? How do I know if one exists? If none exists, what are the code requirements? The house was built...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

My basement floor has no floor drain. I am concerned that if there is a water event like a hot water heater rupture the basement will flood. What is the best way to install a floor drain for the basement? I have busted up some of the slab because I am adding a bathroom in the basement. Have you...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search