Ask
    andria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 07:09 AM
    Depression pills and how much harm they can do to you
    Depression pills and how much harm they can do to you
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2006, 07:29 AM
    Well it depends, how often you take them? Why did doc prescribe to you? How long for? What pills?
    There's a lot to consider
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 7, 2006, 01:35 PM
    There are many different medications for depression. They all have good and bad effects. One must also take into consideration the amount prescribed and the particular diagnosis they are prescribed for.

I need more info to help you better.

What is the med? How much was prescribed? How often is it taken?
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -

Nov 10, 2006, 10:13 PM
    I believe that if drugs are prescribed for depression, it should be for fairly serious depression. It should be under close medical supervision. We should realize that drugs usually mask or treat the symptoms, not the causes of depression.

The underlying causes of depression are largely still a mystery to most professionals. It is believed by many that drugs allows a person to have time out to look at "psychological" aspects of depression that are seen as the "real" causes of depression.

I do not agree with this as most forms of depression are biological in nature and needs biological treatment before any attempt at psychotherapy.

This is supported by a group of psychiatrists who found that only about 40% of patients received some benefit from either drug and/or psychotherapy, leaving 60% of patients with "treatment resistant depression". See: Insel TR (2006).

If we want to improve treatment options we have to look at alternatives.

The connection between metabolic and nutritional disorder is one such alternative.

Please read:

Depression: a Disease of Energy Production
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Another article written by you. Can you please give more scholarly articles that support your theory other than your own?

Diet can be a good adjunctive therapy, one that works well in conjunction with medication. But, just like meds, does not always work as a stand-alone cure.
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16

Nov 15, 2006, 03:37 PM
    A good place to start looking at meds is crazymeds.com. The people who built the forum are all experienced psychiatric patients who have taken hundreds of different medications and have many years of experience living with mental illness. Some have disorders, like Autism, that are not related to mental illness, as well. There are thousands of members. They post their experiences with their medications and share advice, etc. You can find out if your side effect is common to the drug by reading other people's posts.

I am not ashamed of the fact I take meds- they saved my life. I never want to be in that dark hole of depression again. It is good to have that option when therapy will take too long for results. Years of pain cannot go away in one hour of talking. A pill to balance you could keep you from killing yourself until you start to respond to talk therapy.

It is a very personal and individual decision.
    -

Nov 19, 2006, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Another article written by you. Can you please give more scholarly articles that support your theory other than your own?

Diet can be a good adjunctive therapy, one that works well in conjuction with medication. But, just like meds, does not always work as a stand-alone cure.
    Please read:

Hypoglycemia and Depression and

Studies Showing connection between Depression and Insulin Resistance
    Expert

Nov 19, 2006, 08:09 PM
    Again a bunch of lists. You do not point to an absolute website. You expect us to pick or choose only your own info.

While I understand that hypoglycemia does exist and is a big problem in today's society, it is not a cure-all to EVERY mental/physical problem as you seem to preach it is.
    -

Nov 19, 2006, 09:35 PM
    You want evidence and when you get it it is too much or too little. You state the obvious about the diet not being a cure-all. How do you know that it is not a "cure-all"? What's the evidence? Do you think it's is all in the mind is a cure-all?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self harm [ 26 Answers ]

I think I might kill myself before I'm 17 I don't like chosing and everyone around me know that but I have to chose to live why dad for I week on and off or not at all but next year I'm in high school an di have to do more homework and study harder :confused: :(

Depression [ 4 Answers ]

Name some of the pro's and con's of lifestyle changes verses medication in the treatment of depression?

Depression [ 31 Answers ]

I've suffered from depression for 4years and its getting to the stage of not coping! There are many causes of this and seeing a counselor didn't seem to help. Anti-depressants just seem to mask the symptoms, any suggestions? Please help can't cope anymore?

Whey protein:can it harm me? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and I am hooked on whey protein simply because (I think)it tastes good after my workout and it speeds my recovery with fast digesting protein. I get EAS 100% whey protein and only take it after my work out. I am wondering if it is true that the whey can get "stuck" in your...

Depression? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a best friend who is depressed or I believe is depressed we tell each other prettymuch everything if she talks about depressed things listening to her over and over pretty much the same thing over and over worrying about her and everything in my life make me depressed to :confused:

View more questions Search