Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtygart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Scheduled Maintenance. Really?
    I have a 2008 Acura MDX with 32k miles. The dealer says I need $499 of scheduled maintenance, including differential fluid change, tire rotation (never been done), alignment, etc.

What really needs to be done at this point?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2009, 02:47 PM

Here are the items that I would change:

. Oil and filter--I'd use Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, or Amsoil 5W-20.
    . Air filter
    . Cabin air filter
    . Transmission fluid--use Mobil 1 or Amsoil synthetic ATF, if automatic.
    . Brake fluid--completely change with DOT 3.
    . Coolant--50/50 mixture of Honda antifreeze and distilled water.

Tires should be rotated and balanced every 6,000 miles. Likely, you don't need alignment yet.

This link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991
    Dragonslayer Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Nov 5, 2009, 08:19 PM

You should rotate your tires more often, 5-6K would be reasonable. Don't simply rely on the maintenance minder or you will destroy your vehicle much sooner. Although I wouldn't buy everything the dealer recommends to you either. The air and cabin filters should be replaced. The transmission fluid should also be replaced as well. ATF-Z1 is what it calls for, but many dealerships will simply use whatever bulk oil they have supplied from the flush companies. It's a good idea to have the differential/ VTM fluid replaced at this time. That is simply cheap insurance on a very expensive component that Honda/ Acura does not allow our grubby hands to get into. The Variable Torque Management system is active pretty much the entire time. It uses two electromagnetic clutches to send power to your wheels. Believe me, that is a very hard working part on your vehicle. You can hold off on your coolant until you are due for you timing belt/ water pump which will be due at 105k. Honda now recommends complete brake fluid replacement every 3 years.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Nov 5, 2009, 09:13 PM

Go to My Acura - Home

Register and enter your VIN. Then pull up the maintenance schedule. Do ONLY what's on that schedule. Do NOT let the dealer talk you into fuel injector cleaning, engine flush, or any of those other rips offs that aren't on Acura's list. IF they say "we recommend this......," ask them why Acura doesn't recommend it.

Any shop can do this work. You do not have to do it at the dealership. Also, shop around. There's a ton of profit in these maintenance checks and if the dealer knows you're shopping, they can cut you a deal.

TxGreaseMonkey's advice is right on the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scheduled court dates [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a web site that lists pending court dates, times and court room for the Court House in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada. I found one a few months ago and didn't make note of the site address. Thank you for your help. :confused:

Humans Visit Mars When Scheduled? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the target year if any for the first manned exploration?

Scheduled for Arbitration [ 3 Answers ]

I received a notice that my case ( being sued by Capitol One) is scheduled for arbitration. I am not sure what I should do now. I was reading that arbitration is not such a good thing and that it would be better for litigation before a judge. Can I appeal the arbitration hearing and request to...

View more questions Search