Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dleland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Hanging 2' X 4' fluorescent troffer lights in a grid
    I am putting 2' X4' fluorescent troffer lights in an Armstrong Prelude ceiling grid in my basement. Armstrong says don't put any weight on the grid, other places I have read place them in the grid and add extra wires to the grid around the lights. Code probably also requires that the lights be suspended from the joists above. There is plenty of room (about 3') above the ceiling to hang as needed. So is the best method to hang them from the joists, and if so how? Do you know of any internet site that shows this above a suspended ceiling?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2009, 12:21 PM
    The electric code requires these fixtures to be affiexed to the ceiling grid, period, as Per NEC 2008 Section # 410.36(B).

This is a must.

It will be BOCA, IBC, or whatever building code in effect in your area that may require independent support to building structure.

We clip the fixture to the ceiling grid, many fixtures come with clips or wngs for this purpose, then use jack chain, or #12 ceiling wire to support the fixture loosely to the building.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Nov 6, 2009, 01:43 AM
    TK Russell is correct:

1. Screw the fixtures to the grid, using self-tapping sheet metal screws, or use the special clips supplied with the fixture.

2. Usually, there is a small eyelet on the corners of the fixture. Use these eyelets to attach ceiling wires or chains to secure the fixture to the structural ceiling. (This removes the fixture's weight from the ceiling grid.)

Your local building code will tell you how many places you have to support the fixture. Most localities require two opposite corners, but some require all four corners.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 10:09 PM

At my church, they're just screwed to the grid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cantilever system for fluorescent lights [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently rented a large industrial space with 25 ft ceilings and poor lighting. I am trying to set up some lighting to make large artworks along one wall. I thought I would hang 8 foot long fluorescent strip light fixtures along that wall. The question is how to attach them. The...

How many fluorescent lights? [ 5 Answers ]

How many fluorescent light fixtures will I need for a new rec room 12 1/2 x 18? Ceiling height is 85 1/2".

Watt conversion on fluorescent lights [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to confirm my thinking on the wattage conversion on fluorescent lights versus standard incandescent bulbs. Example - I have a 2-bulb porch light fixture that is rated for 60 watt bulbs (120 total). I have some fluorescent bulbs that pull 19 watts but are equivalent to a 75 watt...

Hanging Fluorescent lights [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased (6) 4'x1' t8 fluorescent lights for an unfinished storage room. My questions is am I best installing these lights directly parallel to the floor joists, or perpendicular to the joists. In my particular application I would prefer to hang the lights parallel to the joists. My...

Fluorescent and incandescent recess lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 recess fluorescent lights controlled with 2 3-way switches. Can I add a incandescent recess light to this circuit? Thanks

View more questions Search