Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kb_bkk Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2009, 01:23 AM
    Can sunlight reflection induce infrared noises to a filtered webcam?
    Dear askmehelpdesk members,

Recently I want to set up a system so that my webcam will only detect infrared (940 nm) from only my infrared LED and nothing else, using 940nm-allowed-only filters.

In case I really need to do this in a place with plenty of strong sunlight, do you think sunlight reflection from shiny rings and/or shiny metallic table surface can potentially induce noises to my webcam? Do you think that through adjustments of threshold (the level of voltage considered valid) and exposure level of my webcam, I can potentially reduce COMPLETELY ALL sunlight reflection noises, but still detect my infrared LED?

Any quick opinions please. Thank you so much.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 5, 2009, 02:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_bkk View Post
    In case I really need to do this in a place with plenty of strong sunlight, do you think sunlight reflection from shiny rings and/or shiny metallic table surface can potentially induce noises to my webcam?
    Possibly. I have a client where the rising sun in the morning will trip their security system motion sensors, but I think they work in the far infrared.

Do you think that through adjustments of threshold (the level of voltage considered valid) and exposure level of my webcam, I can potentially reduce COMPLETELY ALL sunlight reflection noises, but still detect my infrared LED?
    My gut feeling is probably. I think it would depend on what you are trying to accomplish and how focused the LED is on the webcam, brightness relative to other IR emitters, distance, etc. Also, since your webcam is filtered to a specific wavelength, any reflection would have to be at exactly that frequency to reach to cam further reducing the probability of random interference.
    kb_bkk Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Dear Mr./Mrs. Scleros and other viewers,

Just for information, I've done more research.

In case you have a little time to spare as well as interest, please kindly continue:

I would say one of the most noisy case within my scope would be direct sunlight reflecting on silver rings at optimum angle into the webcam.

http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Image-Metal-reflectance.png/400px-Image-Metal-reflectance.png

You can see silver reflects so much at approx 850- 940nm

In addition, at the right angle of reflection, our eyes can easily see that direct sunlight can be extremely bright and direct sunlight can reach up to 32,000–130,000 lux for full spectrum.

According to http://lasp.colorado.edu/~bagenal/3720/CLASS4/SolarSpectrum2.jpg despite sun infrared reaching only (very approximately) 50% of the rays in the visible spectrum, I think it's reflection on a silver ring can still be more intense than a 5mm LED.

Would you agree at all on this?

kb_bkk
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 10:06 AM

Here are some typical solar spectra AIR MASS 1.5 global.

Solar Spectral Irradiance: Air Mass 1.5
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 10:43 PM
    I would say one of the most noisy case within my scope would be direct sunlight reflecting on silver rings at optimum angle into the webcam... i think it's reflection on a silver ring can still be more intense than a 5mm LED... Would you agree at all on this?
    Yes for specific scenarios of ring, LED, and camera location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filtered Water Faucet Leaking [ 2 Answers ]

We have a reverse osmosis system on our kitchen sink. The small 'faucet' that dispenses the filetered water is leaking out of its breathing tube. I disconnected it assuming it was blocked but can't find any evidence that's the case. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Induce Labor Myself [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to induce labor by myself? I have heard a bunch of different things, but is there anything that works DEFINITELY? I've heard about having sex, eating mexican food, drinking raspberry tea and walking... Something else I have heard is Caster Oil, but I have also heard that...

How can I connect a nonmac webcam to Mac webcam? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a laptop that has a webcam, I want to know how I can chat with a friend that has a mac computer. It hasn't worked so far, can I?

Ways to induce [ 8 Answers ]

I know about having sex and walking the baby out but my husband and I would just like to know if there is anything anyone has tried that has worked... I am excited to be having a baby but at 38 weeks I'm ready for my little munchkin to come out

View more questions Search