Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cierra013957 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2009, 06:56 PM
    Can I get my money back if I never moved in?
    Last week, I gave some money but never moved in and changed my mind. Now I want my money. I never sighned anything at all and I have a receipt. She neversaid it was a deposit, she said its my last months rent
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 07:02 PM
    You may have been better off if it was a deposit

But if you paid the rent, you rented the unit and had a verbal month to month rent.

So no I don't see why you should get it back.

You also may have been better off with a signed contract since it would have spelled out what was or was not.

This way it is a verbal month to month rental and you are subject to the states rental laws. Once you paid the money and agreed to rent the apartment, you rented it and are obligated, moving or not moving in does not change anything
    dfitzhughjr Posts: 3, Reputation: -2

Nov 4, 2009, 07:02 PM
    Depending on the state you live in, you have rights and the manager of a facility has to abide by a business and professional code. The most common laws that most states will abide by is if you did not complete your contract (which would mean taking possession of the premises), then you are entitled to receive your money back. If you don't get it back, take them to small claims court and collect damages for time and loss. Keep records of what it cost by not having that money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 07:31 PM

Stop asking the same question over and over, they have been deleted.

If you want to add more info merely "answer" your own question.

Asking the same question over and over is considereed "spaming" the board

Nov 4, 2009, 07:41 PM

Well excuse me this is my first time on here so I didn't know. All I'm asking if I never moved in and never sighned anything, can I get my money back
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 07:46 PM

Your receipt is not only your proof that you gave money, its proof that you have entered into a contract and have paid the final months rent in advance. If you want to walk away you will likely loose that money or more depending on your states laws regarding finding another tenant.

Nov 4, 2009, 07:51 PM

My name isn't on the lease. If it's a deposit, in most places you get it back if you didn't damage of owe any money. I never moned in. And if it was a contract than why would she tell me she would still have people view the property
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2009, 08:28 PM

As Chuck said, if the money was taken as last month's rent, then a contract was entered into. If you refuse to fulfill your end then YOU are ion breach of contract.

The key here is what you can prove. If you can prove that she continued to show the apartment after accepting money from you, then she is in breach. Or, if you can prove the money was a refundable deposit, you should be able to get it back.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cierra013957 View Post
    Well excuse me this is my first time on here so I didn't know. All im asking if I never moved in and never sighned anything, can I get my money back

Your attitude is unnecessary. Obviously you didn't understand the rules here before you jumped in and you didn't understand you were entering into a contract when you gave the landlord one month's rent.

You had a contract. You broke it. You lose.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 5, 2009, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cierra013957 View Post
    Well excuse me this is my first time on here so I didn't know.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have to ask WHY you didn't know. Did you bother reading the rules before you agreed to them? Did you bother browsing around a bit to see how others have used this site?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to do that just as wouldn't it have been a good idea to make sure you understood what you were getting yourself into before you plunked down money?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend broke up with me, moved back home with family and wants to figure things [ 36 Answers ]

Please read this so you get a view of the entire pic. Thank you and God bless! My girlfriend and I just recently broke up. I am 25 and she is 23. We met in college as I was finishing up my college career. We were friends for a bit before we got romantically involved. At first I did not want...

Moved back in and now... [ 24 Answers ]

I moved back in after being gone about a week... I was about to move to another town and she came by and begged me not to leave saying "I can't live without you, please don't leave me." So of course, with the fragile state I was in, I gave in and stayed.. Things have been getting better because...

Company moved my 401K to different mutual fund and I lost money [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have 401 plan with company that I left a couple years ago. Six months ago they moved all 401 plans to another provider and failed to informed me. During this move that chose a mutual fund for my money and I lost about $500.00 because of it. My question is: were they supposed to put my...

Separated and he moved back in & won't leave [ 2 Answers ]

My husband of 16 years and I separated 3 years ago when he went to jail. Unfortunately when he got out I kind of needed him to help me out with the kids. We have five together and I was just returning to work after the last one. At first he just came over to watch them while I was at work, now...

My boyfriend's ex-girlfriend moved back [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriends ex just moved back to Michigan and she keeps calling him and trying to get his kids to want her to come back into his life and I am not really sure what to do about it. He swears up and down I have nothing to worry about but I don't if I should believe that or not... what should I...

View more questions Search