Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OldCivicRunnin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 11:07 PM
    '89 Civic won't re-start when engine is hot.
    Hello folks and thanks for reading my question. I enjoy driving my 1989 Honda Civic, with nearly 250,000 miles. I have one problem. If the engine is hot, it will not re-start, e.g. if I stop on the way home from work to run a quick errand, the engine needs to cool for about 10 minutes to allow a re-start. The Honda dealer looked at it one time so far but did not fix it. Is there anything in particular they should focus on? If it starts fine when cold, but won't start when hot, that seems like a good clue of possible root cause for this problem.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 07:02 AM
    Main relay.

Click "More Info" for #RY314 to see what it should look like:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...6,partGroup,78

Hopefully, this will motivate you to locate and change it yourself. It's located where the driver's left knee hits the side panel and usually is mounted with a 10mm bolt. Turning ignition on and off allows you to precisely locate it, by hearing and feeling it click.
    katatude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 01:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCivicRunnin
    Hello folks and thanks for reading my question. I enjoy driving my 1989 Honda Civic, with nearly 250,000 miles. I have one problem. If the engine is hot, it will not re-start, e.g. if I stop on the way home from work to run a quick errand, the engine needs to cool for about 10 minutes to allow a re-start. The Honda dealer looked at it one time so far but did not fix it. Is there anything in particular they should focus on? If it starts fine when cold, but won't start when hot, that seems like a good clue of possible root cause for this problem.
    This may sound strange, next time it happens kick the side panel below the fuses. There's a relay in the panel that gets a film built up on it and causes it to not connect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 civic engine cranks but it won't start! [ 104 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 92 civic dx manual with 188k miles My son drove it to School had it towed home. The engine cranks over but it won’t start. I’m not getting fuel over to the fuel rail. I have no pressure. I got no problem codes. Check engine light never came on.

89 Civic swapped engine will not start. Read sticky [ 16 Answers ]

I will try to keep this short. I have had this 89 hatchback civic for many years. My brother drove it and had the head gasket replaced. After this it always smoked a lot.This was about 5 years ago so it has been sitting. I found a 90 wagon model donor car with a bad tranny and decided to buy it and...

1994 Civic - Check Engine "Orange" lamp and Engine revs when idling [ 1 Answers ]

Two questions realting to my Honda Civic ESI - 1994 model. 1) When I turn on the ignition key there is a Check Engine lamp displayed in Orange which is remaining On for progressively longer. Car not be started until this light disappears. Eventually after 3-5 seconds light turns off and engine...

91 Civic Si hesitates on start when hot [ 1 Answers ]

My 91 Civic Si is generally great but after driving if I park and go to restart the car will start right away but then stall. If I hold the gas pedal down a bit and keep the revs up it will eventually recover and I can drive normally. I replaced the main relay but it had no effect. What could it...

'90 civic DX won't start on hot days [ 7 Answers ]

My Civic is experiencing a sstrange problem. On hot days, or when it has been parked in the sun, the engine will crank, but not ignite, and the "check engine" light comes on. I've checked around and most say the ignition relay might be damaged (apparently, early honda relays were of poor...

View more questions Search