Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmcmurtry Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Gas furnace won't stay lit,
    I have a Rheem Criterion II gas furnace. It has been working this winter and went out this morning. The unit cycles, but the gas only stays lit for 7 secs. goes out, lights again for 7 secs. goes out, and then the blower turns on. I tried this with the thermostat turned to on as opposed to auto, with the same results. The green leds are solid, the amber led never lights. I replaced the flame sensor, with no change. I assume the polarity doesn't need to be switched, since it's been working. HELP!
    FretzRenovation Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2009, 02:18 PM
    The furnace does not recognize the exhaust vent blowers operation an automatically shuts down. Check the exhaust vent blower switch operation.
    FretzRenovation Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2009, 02:20 PM
    The furnace does not recognize the exhaust vent blowers operation and automatically shuts down. Check the exhaust vent blower switch operation.

Nov 4, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FretzRenovation View Post
    The furnace does not recognize the exhaust vent blowers operation and automatically shuts down. Check the exhaust vent blower switch operation.
    The exhaust blower is the first thing that comes on.

Nov 4, 2009, 03:17 PM

Now I noticed that the amber light blinks once when the unit fires up the first time, only to shut back down after 7 seconds. I looked at the safety switch and noticed the tech bypassed it when he was out here last month... he told me the furnace wouldn't lite then because of a loose wire. I guess the switch was bad and he just bypassed it instead of replacing it. Anyway, the black to black connections inside the box where he bypassed the switch are good, so are the white to white and green to green
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 03:37 PM
    Does it have a flame senser,, if so it could be that it needs cleaning,, remove and polish real good with very fine sandpaper or steelwool,,

Nov 4, 2009, 03:50 PM

I installed a new flame sensor right before I started this thread. This is really stumping me! Btw... the blower won't come on when I turn the thermostat to on from auto, but it does come on after the second time trying to light.
    Sandstorm Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2011, 06:58 AM
    On mine I was having the same problem and found the tube that goes to the exhaust blower sensor was stopped up with crud, might check that.
    boyndhood Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2012, 06:38 AM
    Thank you for your answer. It solved my problem
    boyndhood Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2012, 06:39 AM
    WMProop. Thanks for the answer it solved my issue

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace will not stay lit [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old concord 80 plus furnace it starts up and ignites for about 10 seconds then shuts off the blower still runs this repeats for about 2-3 more times then just never comes back on again until I restart. I believe it is the round spiral hot surface ignitor what do you think?

Furnace not stay lit [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Rheem Criterion II. My furnace just recently started light and then immediately have the flame go out. It doesn't do it all the time, maybe 5-6 times then the thermostat sends a signal to the furnace. I have to turn off the thermostat so that it can cycle through until it stays lit. ...

Furnace will not stay lit [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Ruud 50,000 BTU furnace and the furnace lights but the flame goes out about ten seconds after burners kick on. The yellow light never lights up during entire process. The green light is always on and does not blink. I cleaned the flame sensor with fine sandpaper and re-installed after...

GE Furnace won't stay lit [ 4 Answers ]

We've got an old (25y.o.) GE mod #BLD106F furnace, and it refuses to stay lit. The igniter will ignite the gas, then as soon as the spark goes out, the gas shuts down. Ends up sounding like woof woof woof. We replaced the Pilot Detector to no avail. To make matters more confusing, it will lite...

Furnace won't stay on [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get my furnace to stay on unless I have it all the way up. I just replaced the thermostat what could be wrong

View more questions Search