Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherryahhing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 10:35 PM
    When do I start feeding my 5 week kittens cat food?
    My kittens are about 5 weeks now and very much alert like their mama... but I have them in a really big box in one of the rooms in the house that my mama cat picked on her own, it's more like a room that I have things stored in there but she liked it because it's less noisier than the other rooms and its mostly dark.

So... their able to climb out of the box but won't go anywhere far from the box, when do I start feeding them cat food and what kind? Can I leave them out of their box instead of putting them back in every time they come out?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 10:46 PM

They should already be eating kitten food, it is putting too much stress on mom expecting her to keep up feeding and it is very draining for her.

I can't recommend certain brands but basically anything that says it is for kittens (not cats) you can go with either canned food or soaked dry food.. they won't be to handle hard foods just yet.

Start with just a very small amount otherwise they will end up with diarrhoea and just build up the amounts each day until they are eating just the kitten food and not drinking from mum

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feeding kittens [ 3 Answers ]

How many times a day do you feed baby kittens??

Should we step in and support queen feeding kittens [ 3 Answers ]

Hi We have 6 thriving kittens 23 days old. We have noticed a couple of her teats are sore through vigorous feeding of the kittens. She also seems to be jumping out of the box mid way through feeding. Looks like they are hurting her whilst feeding with there little teeth. Today we have only seen...

When do I start feeding my puppies normal puppy food [ 4 Answers ]

I have puppies that are purebread shih tzu s. they were born on July 28th and I want to know when to start feeding them puppy food and not letting them milk off their mom?

Feeding kittens [ 1 Answers ]

When and what should I feed my cats kittens?

Diet/Feeding for kittens [ 1 Answers ]

I have three male kittens that are now ten months old. I've been feeding the boys quite a lot and when they were weighed at the vets yesterday for deworming meds they were 11, 9.4 & 9.1 pounds. Is this too much for that age? Their dad (feral tom who hangs around outside is a pretty big fella,...

View more questions Search