Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Nov 6, 2006, 06:23 PM
    Tankless water heaters
    I was looking into tankless water heaters and wondering if it would be worth while to switch to one when its time to replace my standard hot water tank- has anyone installed one of these, and are they worth the extra money vs. a standard tank?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2006, 08:24 PM
    I have looked into them, and bought a conventional tank last summer. I think the savings are grossly over estimated. With the modern, well insulated tanks, standby losses just aren't nearly what the tankless hype claims. With a gas hot water heater and a gas dryer, our gas usage drops almost to nothing in the summer. The bill doesn't. There is still a hefty fee for being hooked up. There is no way our hot water bill approaches the 25% of our gas usage as claimed by the tankless vendors. Do a search here. People have trouble with them. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ome-41021.html It that thread the OP tankless heaters don't have enough juice to give hot water when the electric heat is on. The problem wasn't resolved yet last I looked.

The space saving claims are phony too. No they are not as big as a tank, but require much larger clearance spaces. I wanted to put one in the crawl space near the point of use and next to the furnace. No way! Didn't have the clearance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Also from what I have read on here there are also some problems with low water pressue, if your system does not have enough volume or pressue, the safety system will not allow the heater to kick in.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2006, 08:36 PM
    Do some math about the total cost of the tankless water heater and the cost of installation. Compare that to the realistic savings that you could have using the tankless heater opposed to the regular storage water heater. See how many years it would take you to save that much difference. Also you might consider estimated life span of the tankless heater. In our area we have very bad water and a water heater only last seven to eight years. So you might consider that you could have to spend that extra amount again in a few years. Although the expenses would not be as much because some of the things would not have to be done a second time, things like changing the gas line or the electric wiring.
    You need to check to see how many gallons the heater will heat per minute and add up all of the gallons that you might need per minute. If a tankless heater can not keep up with the demand it just slows down the water flow.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2006, 09:29 PM
    I have looked into them, and bought a conventional tank last summer. I think the savings are grossly over estimated. With the modern, well insulated tanks, standby losses just aren't nearly what the tankless hype claims. With a gas hot water heater and a gas dryer, our gas usage drops almost to nothing in the summer. The bill doesn't. There is still a hefty fee for being hooked up. There is no way our hot water bill approaches the 25% of our gas usage as claimed by the tankless vendors.
    You raise some good points here, especially in regards to new tank insulation requirements.

Modern tanks are far more efficient than those of the past.

Do a search here. People have trouble with them. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ome-41021.html It that thread the OP tankless heaters don't have enough juice to give hot water when the electric heat is on. The problem wasn't resolved yet last I looked.
    This poster was talking about point of use electric tankless water heaters, not whole house gas fired tankless water heaters.

The space saving claims are phony too. No they are not as big as a tank, but require much larger clearance spaces. I wanted to put one in the crawl space near the point of use and next to the furnace. No way! Didn't have the clearance.
    The clearance issues aren't any different than those of a direct vent HWT.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2006, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dayslug24
    I was looking into tankless water heaters and wondering if it would be worth while to switch to one when its time to replace my standard hot water tank- has anyone installed one of these, and are they worth the extra money vs. a standard tank?
    I've installed about 25 of them (both Rinnai's and Takagi's) over the past 4 years, and have yet to hear any complaints about them from the homeowners.

Of the 2, I am partial to the Rinnai system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless water heaters worth it? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all. I'm wondering what your expert opinions are of tankless "on-demand" water heaters (for the whole house). I found some supposedly new ones on EBay for about $750 (natural gas) and would do the installation myself. But I've never lived in a house that had one, and wanted to know if...

Tankless water heater [ 13 Answers ]

Tom, how are you doing? What are your thoughts on these tankles heaters? Are they really able to do the job of supplying all the hot water you need? I will have a large whirlpool tub, one shower, and the obvious other stuff. Washer, dishwasher, and sinks through out the house. Will they support...

Tankless Water Heater [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking to install a GAS tankless water heater and I read that you need an area of 750 sq ft of combustable air for this unit I want to install. My question is; Does that mean that this has to be a wide open area because my basement is 1000 sq ft but it is framed out into 3 rooms. All rooms...

Tankless water demand... [ 3 Answers ]

At this time I have a Bock oil fired water tank in our home, for about eight to nine years. We also have a deep well and our own septic, what I'm getting to is water pressure, deep well pump on at about 45psi and off at around 64psi. With the low pressure at 45, would that be too low for a tankless...

How to plan gas pipe job to hook-up tankless hot water heaters [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Ask Me Help Desk, I am installing two Paloma 200K BTU tankless hot water heaters in our L-Shaped 2900 square feet 1963-built rancher in Atlanta, GA. I am trying to decide if I should tackle the gas line part of the job. I have successfully done a number of small gas jobs which required...

View more questions Search