Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Toe Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 06:17 PM
    What's it called
    Hi, I'm new, first post.
    You know when you fill out a form on the internet, say you need to type your e-mail address for example. You type the first letter and you get the drop down box showing every word you ever typed starting with that letter, including every time I've misspelled my e-mail address. Is there any way to clear that things memory or disable it?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 03:53 AM
    That's called Auto Complete.

In Internet Explorer:

1. Tools > Internet Options.
    2. Click the Content Tab.
    3. Click the Auto Complete button.

From there you can set what auto completes... and clear current saved things.

In Firefox:

Tools > Options
    Click the Privacy Tab.
    Look in the section for Private Data.

Nov 7, 2006, 12:26 PM
    OK, new prob. When I try to access internet options I get this. This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Contact your system admin. That would be me. I can log off then back on as a guest and access this this option. The comp. is set up for 2 users, me and a guest. I'm sure at one time it was set up for admin and myself, but I changed it. I've had this comp for 4 years, bought it new, running windows xp. Normally I use msn explorer. So how do I get it to recognise me as the admin?

Nov 7, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Update: It does say I'm the admin, but I can't access interner options, strange.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 03:32 AM
    Gosh I'm stumped on that one. So you've double checked that your settings are indeed for "Computer Administer"? If that's the case then I'm stumped.

Hopefully another will come along shortly.

Nov 8, 2006, 07:35 AM
    I was hoping for something quick and easy. What I'm going to try is to switch accounts, put my name as the admin on the guest account and make mine the guest, or set up a second admin so I can delete the first. I've been cleaning a lot of extra unused things out of the system anyway, so there is not much left to move around. Thanks.
    nidrill Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Toe
    Hi, I'm new, first post.
    You know when you fill out a form on the internet, say you need to type your e-mail address for example. You type the first letter and you get the drop down box showing every word you ever typed starting with that letter, including everytime I've misspelled my e-mail address. Is there any way to clear that things memory or disable it?
    there a nice easy way in the drop down box highlight the one u want to delete, and pree "delete" the key above your arrows. =]
    akishore Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Is your computer part of a domain? The "due to restrictions on your computer" is part of Windows Group Policy or Local Security Policy templates that can control access to just about everything on the computer (ever used some computer in a gym or somewhere else in public and you can't change anything?). Are you still having that problem?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2006, 06:04 PM
    Well since it has not been mentioned yet: do yourself a favour and download and install Firefox.

Dec 1, 2006, 11:39 PM
    I emailed micrsoft support and they referred me to a user group, lol. They don't support the software they sell, nice. What I did was set up a new admin account and moved my files but not the settings, it worked. I've been working on this comp for about a month now to get it cleaned out and tuned up, it's working better than it ever has. Now it's just details. I've learned more about computers in the last month than the previous 5 years I've had it. Just dig in and clean out the trash. Just make sure you keep some restore points, I've needed them about 10 times through this, haha. Cya!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is that movie called? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: In 2003 there was a movie on DSTV about a mother who passes away, knowing that she makes a video tape for every occasion for her child - for e.g. her 16th, 18th, 21st, wedding and so forth. I would really appreciate it if someone can tell me the name of this movie. Brilliant movie -...

Not called back [ 2 Answers ]

I know this might sound pathetic, but I started seeing a guy and things went really really well he was everything I was looking for handsome, intelligent, caring, loving, complimentary, all this went through the window after the last night we were ejoying foreplay when I realised I was bleeding...

Why hasn't he called me after the date? [ 6 Answers ]

I’m a singer in a band, I’m 25 and I’ve never really been in a real relationship before. If I’ve ever been in a loving relationship, it has been short lived and very private. I’ve never had a boyfriend who felt comfortable about introducing me to people as his girlfriend. I think guys see me as a...

What are these things called? [ 2 Answers ]

What are the slip covers called that comes on jars of cream that you order? I can't locate them and need to order some. If anyone can help me find them, or a cosmetic supplier that would be great! Thanks

He hasn't called me [ 7 Answers ]

I am a little confused right now, I have been talking to a guy for a month now mostly over the phone, we had only seen each other once. We were trying to get to know each other and decided to go on a date last Saturday. I believe that the date went really well, his compliments were endless and we...

View more questions Search