Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shnrgrl Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Cutting granite countertop
    Hi,everyone. We have an "L" shaped island in our kitchen We would like to remove and reuse the granite countertop, but it would mean just making 2 straight cuts to alter its size. It only has to be cut about 22" on 1 side, and 42" on the other. There are only 3 cabinets that the granite is laying on. Is this something that should be left to professionals- if it can even be done at all? Since they would have the proper tools, would there still be a high risk of the granite breaking? As I said, there are only 2 straight cuts to be made. No obstacles ---kitchen sink, etc. Thank you for your help!
    Gregg and Kathy
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 01:58 PM

Some homeowners might have the right tools to cut granite but even my shop would not attempt it. A pro would use a wet saw and also be able to grind the edges smooth.

Nov 3, 2009, 03:02 PM

Thanks for your answer. One thing I did forget to ask----before we're even able to reuse the countertop----how difficult is it to remove the countertop from the cabinets? Granite was professionally installed---maybe epoxy was used??
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 03:05 PM

Granite can be cut with a circular saw and a diamond embedded blade such as shown below. Lay on a flat surface so that both pieces will be adequately supported.
    Attached Images

Nov 3, 2009, 03:19 PM

They do not use epoxy, usually just silicone around the edges. It is important to raise the counter evenly so very small wedges driven along one edge will get it started. I'd draw a utility knife long the edge to get a start. Harold is correct, that kind of blade will cut granite. However, it will not produce an edge like you need for a counter top.

Nov 3, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Oh,wow. So, in order to get the beveled edge that we have on rest of countertop, we would have to have the cut professionally done, right? We would like to have the newly cut granite edges match existing edges. Thanks again!

Nov 3, 2009, 03:27 PM

I don't think any of us could make that beveled edge even with all the tools we have. Pros use a special router and grinding equipment to get that edge and the smoothness required. Call around, you may have difficulty finding a pro willing to do this work for a price worth doing. They would much rather sell granite than work on yours.

Nov 3, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I don't think any of us could make that beveled edge even with all the tools we have. Pros use a special router and grinding equipment to get that edge and the smoothness required. Call around, you may have difficulty finding a pro willing to do this work for a price worth doing. they would much rather sell granite than work on yours.
    Thank you so much for your advise. We will look around and see what we can find. Hopefully successfully! Thanks for your help.

Nov 3, 2009, 05:02 PM

I know that the beveling and the rounding over of edges is done with a hand grinder but I don't know what kind of wheel. Don't know how polishing is done, probably a certain type of sand paper on hand grinder. Call around.

Nov 4, 2009, 02:31 AM

Attached Images

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2009, 07:30 AM

Look through here:
    Edge Work Kit for Granite Edge Profiling / Polishing
    And:
    http://www.toolocity.com/how-todvds.aspx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a granite countertop for a bar [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put a granite countertop on a bar - what kind of supports are needed? The countertop will be sitting on top of a wall - on one side there will be kitchen cabinets, but about 6 inches lower than the bar height (normal cabinet height) - the other side will be available for seating with bar...

Installing 12x12 granite tiles as countertop [ 9 Answers ]

I want to install 12x12 granite tiles as a new counter top. Do I need to install backer board? I would like to butt them to one another, and if I do, do I still need to grout them?

Kitchen Faucet install on Granite Countertop [ 1 Answers ]

I have an American Standard 6425 Series faucet I am trying to install at our kitchen sink. We just recently installed granite countertops. The hot and cold water stems to the faucet are not long enough to accommodate the retaining nuts and also create a sufficient seal on the feed hoses. I...

Installing granite tiles on countertop [ 1 Answers ]

I have some granite tiles I would like to install on my bathroom countertop, my question is, what type of thinset should I use and what size spacers do I need.

Install granite tile countertop [ 0 Answers ]

I'm considering the 12x12 granite tile for my countertop. How do I install it on my existing cabinets? Do I remove the entire existing countertop? My current sink is a drop in sink, how does that work with the tiles? Will have need to buy another sink? I have a surface cookstove, how is that...

View more questions Search