Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letsconverse Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 11:07 AM
    Graduation issue!
    Why does not this world form a govt body in every country to recognize an individual's effort by way of awarding them a degree/doctorate that strengthens one's life' values and boost up one's career?

My quest roots from this thread - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/advice/t-29364.html. I would appreciate unanimous thoughts on the concluding lines of that link. I am for it. What about you? How can we have the govt do this for all?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 11:11 AM

I don't even understand what you're asking. What would a degree or doctorate that "strengthens one's life values and boost up one's career" be? Couldn't you argue that any degree can do that for a person? And I don't even understand what "why does not this world for a govt body in every country" means. Doesn't every country have some form of a government body already?

Nov 3, 2009, 11:50 AM
    Then, you must not bother at all. Let's wait for others. :-)
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 11:52 AM

Or, maybe you can write sentences that make sense and explain what you mean

Nov 3, 2009, 11:58 AM

I appreciate your suggestion, but prefer to leave it that way.

Let him/her who understands, answer it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 12:10 PM

OK. I can't way to see you figures this one out. But I'll try to be patient.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2009, 12:47 PM

I've read the thread you linked to and I still can't make head nor tails of what you are asking. Lets try to break it down.

Every country DOES has a governmental agency overseeing educations that accredits and oversees schools.

On what basis would such a degree be awarded? Are you referring to credit for life experience? If so, there are many schools that do offer such credit towards a degree.

Unanimous thoughts means getting everyone to agree. That ain't going to happen on a site like this.

What lines are you referring to? Why didn't you copy and paste them so we would know what you are referring to? Why be so cryptic in your responses to just curious?

If you have a question, spell it out, make it clear otherwise you won't get answers.

Nov 3, 2009, 11:42 PM
    I see your thought.

There are my universities claiming to offer such cerifications. But they are not accredited. What is accredited is a three/four year long of slogging. This is what most knowledgeable professional cannot afford for. It could be because of the nature of their job/career that gives them no time to spend on studies or some circumstances in life which draws all their attention.

Most of us know why there are such universities providing certifications at a price. Many of them aren't accredited by the ruling govt. I was wondering as to why govt worldwide can't think in the lines that these universities think and join hands in recognizing every individual's effort for what their worth is.

I do not prefer to elaborate on this further.

As for the unanimous thoughts, I do understand that this stuff seems IMPOSSIBLE but I am hoping to have the right people get involved. You or anyone reading this could take it forward!! Just as it is said 'one thing leads to another', lets hope that one positive thought on this site kindles a fire somewhere.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 11:47 PM

Well, I don't see why they should be accredited. And I don't even have any hope of governments world wide ever agreeing completely on much of anything. If we can't even agree to all stop going to war, I see no chance of us ever agreeing that everyone should just be able to get a degree for life experience. Life experience only counts for so much. Just because you have life experience does not mean that you deserve a degree. If you're going into a professional field than I do believe that you should go to school and have to study, just like everyone else. From the very little that you will tell us about your thoughts (I don't know why you bother to post at all when you refuse to elaborate enough to really get this conversation going), I'm getting that you are proposing giving busy people, and potentially lazy people, a free ride.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 12:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    everyone should just be able to get a degree for life experience.
    You mean I went to school for 4 years to become a nurse at an older age when I could have gotten the same thing with my "life experience?" Wow, what a drag!!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 12:24 AM
    justcurious55 agrees: I know. Let's elect this guy president or king of the world. Then I can just drop out now. I think I've got enough life experience for a bachelor's degree. Maybe he'll give me a master's if I have kids later.
    I HAD 4 kids... 2 with an epidural and 2 naturally, I should have just been handed over my Masters Degree in Labor & Delivery rather than having to spend all that money and time in school.

BUT, I'd be scared to have someone with "life experience" give me a shot based on milligrams, mililiters and body weight.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 12:28 AM

Haha. Yeah, there's a lot of things I'd be scared to have someone who wasn't professionally trained do for me. I don't even like my dentist doing my fillings. Can you just imagine if she'd been given a degree based on just experience? Yikes!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2009, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by letsconverse View Post
    Most of us know why there are such universities providing certifications at a price. Many of them aren't accredited by the ruling govt. I was wondering as to why govt worldwide can't think in the lines that these universities think and join hands in recognizing every individual's effort for what their worth is.
    Ok, so you are saying that every person in this world should get some sort of document that expresses their worth? Should we be awarding gold stars too? Are you really that naïve?

Would I want my tax dollars to go towards giving every individual in my country what amounts to a pat on the back? NO WAY! Your idea is simplistic and, frankly, ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned people ARE recognized for their success in life by their job standing, salary and reputation. For example, I am a recognized expert in Microsoft Access. I've EARNED this recognition by answering thousands of questions about Access posed by people on message boards like this one. Would I want or expect the government to issue me some sort of certificate acknowledging my status. Not at all. For any such certificate to be meaningful it would have to be backed by research into the qualifications of an individual. And that means money which equates to tax dollars.

Actually in this question I think you may get a unanimous answer and that answer would be a no. I can't imagine anyone supporting this idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would be a better graduation present for my son? [ 2 Answers ]

My son, 17 just graduated high school. What would be a better gift? He is very interested in playing guitar and biking; A New Acoustic Guitar /1 A Road Bike (Race bike) /2 What do you think?

Graduation Announcements [ 3 Answers ]

I have a graduation announcement that is a flat card, no fold. Where do I put my picture and name card?

Marriage following graduation from hs [ 12 Answers ]

Im 17 right now but soon to be 18. My boyfriends 18 as well. We live 2 hours from each other and we could not be more in love. We have been talking about getting married for awhile now. We are both set and committed to it and we can't wait to share our lives together. Both of our grandparents...

What should I get my X for her graduation! [ 21 Answers ]

Hey everyone! Yes I know that it is a while until the 9nth of June but still I would like to get her something really great! Yes I know she isn't my girlfiend and I should just move on... but I still love her and she is moving to a town VERY close to the one I moved to when we broke up. So...

View more questions Search