Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Child Leash: should I get one? Opinions wanted
    As most of you know, I'm going on a trip, in 2 days. And as most of you know, airports can get busy.

So I was wondering, should I get a leash for my 2 year old? I don't want to lose her at the airport while I'm trying to check in or while I'm tying my shoe or something like that.

I won't use it other than being at the airport.

With all these missing kids, a leash seems like a good idea.

Anywhozzils I just wanted your opinion.

Thanks!

Sarah
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 10:07 AM

I HATE the strap around the body kid leashes. The wrist leashes I understand.

Just my opinion.

Oh, if I ever get married again I do plan on using a Husband Leash.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 10:11 AM

There are the best thing since sliced bread!

Go for it..

There is also a tracker device you can get.. sounds bad,but really helpful..

It's a little button that you attach to the child (child proof) you have one too,and you can set the distance from each device,example 2 feet.. when your child goes beyond this it alarms... handy for near pool etc.. get the lease get the alarm get everything,you can never too to cautious or too careful with a small child.

I know it sounds over the top,but with so many child abductions better safe then sorry.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 3, 2009, 11:09 AM
    Yes yes and yes.

They have got to be one of the best inventions.
    The child feels as if they have their freedom, but you have full control of them at all times.

A MUST have for any active child.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 11:15 AM

I think they're great. I wish more parents would use them.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Nov 3, 2009, 11:22 AM

I think they are excellent! I wish they had those when I was a kid. My mom just used my ponytail...

They have so many cute styles like the picture shows that you can have your two year old pick out which one she wants. Then she'll be likely to be quite happy to wear it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 11:24 AM

Thanks guys!

I'm more worried about someone grabbing her when I'm in the middle of looking for something.. airports can get hectic.

Thanks again!

I'll be looking for one today!

Sarah
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2009, 11:37 AM

I used a harness on my little one until they came out with the wrist types. But either way I would do it and not just at the airport. In malls, stores, anywhere curious tots will wander while your attention may be directed elsewhere.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 11:58 AM

Hmm well I saw one at Wal-mart. It's a backpack AND a harness. I'm pretty sure I'll get that one. She can put her snacks and things in the backpack. I'm sure she'll enjoy it.

I'd rather risk evil glances than a lost child.

Sarah
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 12:09 PM

I smile at the parents who use the harnesses. And save the evil glances for the parent's who don't even realize there child is running around wreaking havoc...
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 12:09 PM

I am not saying this is right but if you happen to come across my wife in your travels don't be shocked if she see's you with a leash and asks how old your dog is and can it do any tricks. I have seen her do this.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 12:11 PM
    God I hate those leashes.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    God I hate those leashes.
    Did mommy put you in a leash NeedKarma ;)

--why do you hate them?

It's not like I'm going to be taking her to the park with it on- haha

Sarah
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 12:16 PM

Yes on the leash!

No need to apologize, either. I'm betting it will make your trip a lot easier. They weren't around when I was raising my kids. I think they are a totally reasonable solution to having a frisky toddler.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    Did mommy put you in a leash NeedKarma ;)

--why do you hate them?

It's not like I'm going to be taking her to the park with it on- haha

Sarah
    No, none of the five of us were. I have two kids and didn't use them either. Seems oh so dog-like to me. That's my opinion of course. I've had no problems picking up and carrying my two year old if the situation demands it.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Nov 3, 2009, 12:59 PM

I don't mean to offend, but I don't care for the leash. Just the name alone suggests something not fit for children. I think whatever you decide works for you or that you need for peace of mind is what you should do.
    However, don't use the leash as an alternative to getting your child to understand through communicaton and discipline, the importance of being safe and well mannered.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 01:18 PM

I agree that children should be taught to be well mannered and stay by your side in crowded areas. But I trust that you're teaching her that anyway and a leash isn't necessary when you go grocery shopping. But, airports are busy, crowded places and it seems like there's always a million things going on. I'd stick with your decision to use the leash. Better safe than sorry.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 01:23 PM

My mom had one for me and my brother. When I was young, and she was pregnant, about 7 or 8 months, with my brother, she had a child leash on me under my winter coat, it was not visible. My mom had a hold of the leash, she turned around for just one second and she felt a tug on the leash, and a strange man was picking me up. If she had not had the leash on me, I might not be around. She could not have chased the man in her pregnant state, and I was too young to defend myself. There are bad people in the world, Keep your baby close to you in busy places. I'm not sayinge over-protective, but in an airport situation, YES YES YES.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Nov 3, 2009, 01:47 PM

I fully understand the draw to wanting to take steps and extra measures toward safety. My fear is this: The leash can cause a false sense of security for you and the child. I would be willng to bet that these creeps out there have a fix for those leashes too. With your back turned because you think your safe... leashes can be unhooked. Again you have to use what makes you feel secure and I know you will be cautious. It's all just my opinion.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 01:51 PM

I absolutely agree with you - when the "leash" is used solely for the purpose of making sure the child is safe in a crowded place, I have no problem.

It's not like you are using it so the child comes when called!

And as far as someone unclipping the "leash" and still grabbing the child - my feeling is Mudweiser is going to be very close by and I think it's the same as stealing from a homeowner. Someone wanting to grab a child would distract the child and get him/her to walk away from the parent, unconstrained.

I see no point in frightening the OP with "what ifs."

And, of course, this is just my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does attraction grow? Opinions Wanted. [ 17 Answers ]

I'll make it brief: I was madly in love with my gorgeous, smart and sexy husband and did everything in my power to make it work, but I couldn't. He was selfish, unapproachable, narcissistic and disrespectful to me from the beginning. I knew he was difficult even before I got married but I was...

Opinions on child support [ 13 Answers ]

So, I was listening to the radio tonight, and a topic came on about a man paying what people have called an excessive amount of child support. I think it was like $2000 a month per child. Well, people were calling into the radio station and just laying into to this woman, you know calling her a...

Urgent Help Opinions On Buying An Apple Mac Mini Wanted [ 15 Answers ]

I have been using a PC for the past 7 years and now there is a big change coming - I am purchasing a 1.42ghz, 80 gb, combo drive MAC MINI. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW if I should purchase it online via apple.ca, or at Best Buy. :confused: The price is the same $749. (canadian dollars). It comes with...

Your Opinions Wanted [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, A person asked this question at another question/answer websie: Sometimes my toshiba laptop slows down at any program I'm using. I go into Task Mangager and then under the Processes tab it shows 100% usage at the bottom of it so I have to reboot the PC to run normal. Why does it do this? ...

View more questions Search