Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 02:06 PM

When in doubt, just do it. Better safe than sorry.

I would suggest wrist over neck leashes though.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 02:07 PM

While the "what ifs" are possible, I agree with judy. Even people who are sick enough to want to steal someone else's child still have some basic human characteristics. Why take a child that you have to do extra work to take when you can lure one away from a parent not paying attention or with their back turned?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 02:17 PM

My best friend was a leash kid. But he would run away from his mom and hide in the close racks at the mall. So I see the point of them. Unlike my wife I would never belittle someone for doing that. Now I will belittle you if your kid is acting like a little terror and you do nothing about it. So I say do it.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 02:22 PM

I never liked the idea of them before and when I seen then out in public I am sure people thought they got some pretty weird looks from me. After reading all this on here it sounds like a good idea so I would get it if you haven't already.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    I don't mean to offend, but I don't care for the leash. Just the name alone suggests something not fit for children. I think whatever you decide works for you or that you need for peace of mind is what you should do.
    However, don't use the leash as an alternative to getting your child to understand throught communicaton and discipline, the importance of being safe and well mannered.
    Oh trust me I won't.

Rachel doesn't run away at stores, or when we go for walks-- in fact she insists on me holding her hand whenever we are out. I don't have a problem with that.

To be honest, I'm a nervous traveler, and a messy one. Even if I have my passport at hand I always find a way to complicate my travel, whether it's dropping my juice on my documents to forgetting my wallet at the check in. Really, I'm not a good person to travel with. I trip. I lose things. I'm just all over the place. Ahaha

I'm mostly worried about some creep-o trying to give her a lollipop when I have my back turned for a second or while I'm trying to get her snacks from my bag... just anytime I don't have my eye on her.

I am going to use the "child harness" solely for the airport.

Thanks for your input.

Sarah
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Nov 3, 2009, 03:09 PM

Sarah
    YOu are most welcome. I was always really fussy about traveling with my son. They do get so curious in the environment. I understand your position and by all means you have to do what makes you feel secure. Honestly.
    Safe travels to you. ENJOY!
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    Sarah
    YOu are most welcome. I was always really fussy about traveling with my son. They do get so curious in the environment. I understand your position and by all means you have to do what makes you feel secure. Honestly.
    Safe travels to you. ENJOY!
    Oh I'll try my best to enjoy it.

I'm pretty sure I'm making it worse than it is. I always do that.

Last night I was up thinking "omg what if the plane crashes..."

Sarah
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    Oh I'll try my best to enjoy it.

I'm pretty sure I'm making it worse than it is. I always do that.

Last night I was up thinking "omg what if the plane crashes..."

Sarah
    OMG! What if the plane DOESN'T crash? :)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 05:10 PM
    My vote is for renting a stroller from the airport. That way you don't have to lug the "leash" around on your trip, plus you won't get dirty looks from people like me. And she won't get tired walking, and you can go at a faster pace.

Sorry, but I just don't care for them. It simply looks too much like walking a dog. But that's just me.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 06:34 PM

Heh. Just to be difficult, walking is GOOD for children. I hate it when people push 5 year olds around in strollers. Besides, if Rachel walks around instead of sitting, she will sleep on the plane. Finally, different kids take to strollers or not. My older son loved nothing better than sit passively. The younger one would scream if I tried to put him in.

We all get to be difficult about something. :)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Heh. Just to be difficult, walking is GOOD for children. I hate it when people push 5 year olds around in strollers. Besides, if Rachel walks around instead of sitting, she will sleep on the plane. Finally, different kids take to strollers or not. My older son loved nothing better than sit passively. The younger one would scream if I tried to put him in.

We all get to be difficult about something. :)
    Who said anything about a five year old? Her girl is two.

I wouldn't put a five year old in a stroller.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 05:25 AM

If the leash eases your mind, muddy, the get it ! Airports are very stressful for rmoms and little ones at the best of times.

Tick
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 05:42 AM

I just thought of another idea for you..

Dress her in bright clothes.. or if she will wear a distinctive cap or hat... the colours will stand out and catch your eye if she strays to far.

Stripes or dots,something that will stand out.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2009, 09:05 PM
    20 hours later... here I am in Hudson's Hope B.C.

I AM tired!

I left to Toronto from Windsor at midnight, then my flight left at 7ish and from Edmonton I took the plane to Grande Paririe and now I'm in Hudson's Hope :)-- FEWF

By the way, the airport was not even busy, I had the harness on her and it was just pointless she still wanted me to hold her hand. So I held her and took the backpack/harness off and let her run around.

It was easy breezy. I'm supa tired though :(

Sarah
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 07:02 AM

Hay, you made it ! Worry for nothing, but that's what we do, eh, mom. Have a great stay in lovely BC. What is the weather like ?

Tick
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 07:05 AM

Hello Sarah:

Have you tried Velcro?

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Sarah:

Have you tried Velcro?

excon

I bought a husband leash with a matching choker - would you try it on for me?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 10:13 AM

Hey hon. I say yes. I accually prefer them to the wrists ones cause I feel safer knowing that if someone does try to snatch my daughter up and run off with her, and it jerks the strap, I know it will grab her body and not grab and possibly injure her wrist. You know?

*EDIT* sorry hon I did that mistake that eveyrone hates and I replied before reading other replys. Gladl you guys made it safe!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Does that really happen is the states a lot - kids being grabbed away from their parents?
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Does that really happen is the states a lot - kids being grabbed away from their parents?
    It happens more often than you'd think. :( I'ts really unfortunate. There's lists and lists of missing people starting at any age, mostly young. It's really sad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does attraction grow? Opinions Wanted. [ 17 Answers ]

I'll make it brief: I was madly in love with my gorgeous, smart and sexy husband and did everything in my power to make it work, but I couldn't. He was selfish, unapproachable, narcissistic and disrespectful to me from the beginning. I knew he was difficult even before I got married but I was...

Opinions on child support [ 13 Answers ]

So, I was listening to the radio tonight, and a topic came on about a man paying what people have called an excessive amount of child support. I think it was like $2000 a month per child. Well, people were calling into the radio station and just laying into to this woman, you know calling her a...

Urgent Help Opinions On Buying An Apple Mac Mini Wanted [ 15 Answers ]

I have been using a PC for the past 7 years and now there is a big change coming - I am purchasing a 1.42ghz, 80 gb, combo drive MAC MINI. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW if I should purchase it online via apple.ca, or at Best Buy. :confused: The price is the same $749. (canadian dollars). It comes with...

Your Opinions Wanted [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, A person asked this question at another question/answer websie: Sometimes my toshiba laptop slows down at any program I'm using. I go into Task Mangager and then under the Processes tab it shows 100% usage at the bottom of it so I have to reboot the PC to run normal. Why does it do this? ...

View more questions Search