Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Farsuz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 07:00 AM
    My laptop does not recognize my cd/dvd drive
    It is a Sony Viao. When I insert a CD or DVD, it attempts to read them. The light comes on and it sounds as well. Then it stops and the light switches off after a short while. No message apears. No CD / DVD drive shows in "My Computer". The CD/DVD Drive however is listed under the hardware list.
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Nov 4, 2009, 05:02 PM
    I get this problem a lot!

It might be that the Drive has no letter assigned to it. You can check in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. If it does have a letter assigned to it then do the following...

This normally happens if your burning software goes corrupt or you have 2 burning programs installed. The solution is simple.

Click on Start then Run. (Vista users - Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R simultaneously)

Now type REGEDIT in the box.

Now Expand HKEY_Local_ Machine, System, CurrentControlSet, Class, {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pannel, Delete the UpperFilter and LowerFilter keys.

Restart and it should be working.
    Farsuz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Hello GrantHillsSA,

First of all, thanks for help re my problem.

I have checked in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. It does not have a letter assigned to the CD/DVD drive.

Please can assist further and tell me what to do next.

Many Thanks
    Farsuz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot get Laptop to recognize New Hi-speed modem [ 1 Answers ]

I'm lost... I have an EMachines Desktop (3yrs old) and a Compac Laptop (1yr old) that had both been connected to "dial-up" using Netzero. I just had Hi-speed Internet added through my Cable company. The tech simply connected the Modem to the incoming cable and then to the Ethernet port on my...

CD-RW drive will not recognize CERTAIN CDs [ 7 Answers ]

My CD drive will not recognize certain cds. I insert the cd and it's like there is nothing there, but other cds play fine. Any suggestions?

My laptop doesn't recognize CD Rom drive either [ 1 Answers ]

My Toshiba laptop doesn't recognize the CD Rom drive. When I insert a disc, the drive opens and closes. The lights flash, and I can hear the CD spinning. But there is no action on the screen. When I go to Control Panel or Windows Explorer - the CD Rom Drive does not show up. Just my C drive and A...

Laptop doesn't recognize CD Rom drive [ 3 Answers ]

I have IBM R32 laptop that doesn't recognize CD Rom drive in My computer or Device manager. If I swap CD drive with Floppy drive computer recognize Floppy drive. If I put that CD Rom drive in another IBM laptop that laptop recognize him and it works OK. When I put CD Rom drive in IBM R32 laptop it...

Drive Does Not Recognize SOME CDs [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought an iPod, so I've been transferring songs from old purchased music CDs to my computer. Some work fine, but others are not being read by my hard drive. They are not corrupted, nor is my drive damaged. I updated my iTunes, rebooted, did everything I can possibly think of... but the...

View more questions Search