Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steelheadwill Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2009, 04:09 AM
    Connect 240V 3 prong motor to generator W/ 240 4 prong outlet?
    As summarized, I'd like to run a 240 volt motor with 3 prong twistlock plug off my
    Generator that has a 240V 4 prong twistlock outlet,
    Have purchased a 4 prong dryer plug & cord. Not sure what function the extra lead performs, any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks...

Nov 3, 2009, 04:11 AM

Apologies, searched for previous posts,
    Couldn't find any until I posted Question, Thanks

Nov 3, 2009, 04:43 AM

Posts did not clearly answer my question,
    Answers would be appreciated!!
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Nov 3, 2009, 08:43 AM

On the generator you have 4 leads. Two are hots, a neutral, and a ground. On the motor you should have, two hots and a ground. A 240v motor does not need a neutral, some appliances, or if you want to run anything 120v, you will need a neutral.

Why did you get the dryer plug/cord?

To just run a motor get the proper 4 prong twist lock plug that fits your generator and put it on the cord to the motor. You do not connect anything to the neutral connection, leave it blank.

Nov 4, 2009, 05:12 AM

Thanks MEDIC-DAN,
    Got the 4 prong dryer cord as that is what fits the generator, just needed to be sure what
    leads went to what prongs,
    I gather that red=hot, black=hot, green=ground, and white=blank.
    Appreciate your help!!
    jandsvista Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2011, 09:54 PM
    I have a welder I'm wanting to run on a 240v 4 prong plug. The welder runs on a 240v 3 prong. Do I just to the same thing? Use the 2 hots and not neutral wire?

Dec 22, 2011, 03:14 AM
    I would first check you welders amperage draw,
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electrical-lighting/wiring-3-prong-plug-4-prong-outlet-226475.html
    Most Household circuits can't handle it.
    If your circuits are capable, search for an answer to your wiring question or post a new thread.
    My knowledge doesn't cover your specific question.
    Happy (and SAFE( Holidays!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-prong generator & 4-prong power cord [ 11 Answers ]

My 5kw Coleman Powermate generator has two 110v receptacles and two 220v receptacles. Both of the 220v receptacles are the 3-prong blade type. My six circuit Reliance ProTran transfer switch has the 4 prong female twist lock. Both ends of my 30amp 4-wire cord are twist lock. The end for the...

Convert 4 prong 240 generator outlet to 3 prong [ 6 Answers ]

How do I make an extension cord from my 4 prong 240 twist generator outlet to a 3 prong 240 outlet for my radial arm saw?

Wiring a 3 prong plug to a 4 prong outlet [ 15 Answers ]

In my Laundry room I have a 4 prong plug for my dryer. I have a 3 prong plug on my welder. They are both 220 and I have everything I need to make an extension cord in cluding wire, plug and receptacle and gang box. I know how to wire the ground but am not sure where to put the black and white...

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

What is the difference in a 2 prong or a 3 prong condenser motor capacitor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, 1996 Rheem AC (SEER 12) condenser fan moter replaced. (A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 825 rpm. 208-230 volt.) My old capacitor has 3 prongs, black, black and white. The white one has an orange wire that goes to the compressor. The new capacitor has 2 prongs, black and black. Where do I...

View more questions Search