Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rasikmalhotra Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Apply for H1B when had H1B in past
    I had a H1B Visa in past and was in US for ~2 years on H1B visa.
    I had to go to my home country and before I could come back, my H1B visa expired.
    I came back to US on L1 visa with my same employer which I was on H1B with.
    Now, I am looking to apply for H1B again, but have following query:

1. Do I need to go through H1B lottery system again even if I had H1B in past?
    2. Is it like Employer has to go through complete process or it is a like a H1B transfer?

What else should I keep in mind?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with the above questions.

Regards
    RM
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Nov 3, 2009, 06:53 AM

You will not be in the new fiscal year visa pool, if you had one issued in the past 6 years. Please note that the time you were in H is added to the time on L for maximum period of stay in US, so if you were in the US as an H or an L, then all that time counts towards the 6 year maximum.

The company files another H, with evidence of your previous H approval and visa. There is no and never has been an H "transfer".

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it wrong that I can't get past my past? [ 2 Answers ]

I know that the past is the past and that is all it will ever be, but when the past is very hurtful to you, you can't just forget what people have done to you. Let me explain a little bit of what I am still having a hard time getting past... My whole life has been a very difficult time....

Can I Apply for OPT ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My situation is the following, Last year by the end of my undergraduate studies in the US I applied for OPT but canceled my application before I was granted permission to work in the US because I had been accepted into graduate school. At this time, unfortunately, I was told that my...

Apply for GC [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Need to know if the Aunt or Uncle whose citizen can apply Green Card for the Niece? How about grand parent? Thanks

When does NC apply? [ 2 Answers ]

I know what I am asking is counter to what everyone says on here as far as the nc rule. But, I see there are certain times when it can work to get back into your ex's life. I really miss her, and maybe its just because I am lonely, but is this not something worth exploring? Sure, I may be a...

View more questions Search