Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 09:19 PM

artlady agrees: Love the story! When you least expect it,love finds you,how sweet and good for you!
    Thank you Artsy... yep it did. :)
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 10:44 AM

It's great that you're open to counseling. There are some groups out there that are free that are a good option, too. One is Adult Children of Alcoholics (as a teenager, you're old enough to participate). This group helps you identify what patterns in your home environment aren't healthy and helps you understand also what you might do coming from that environment that is not healthy, so you can make sure and keep your own life on a healthy trajectory.

I would also recommend that you avoid drinking and be particularly vigilant as well about avoiding drugs and cigarettes. Both because you have grown up with it and because you share genetics with your Dad, you have a higher risk of having an addictive personality yourself. If you never start it, you'll never struggle with it, so stand your ground. Don't allow yourself to experiment with something that has already proven to cause you so much pain.

Is your Mom around? Do you have other adults you can rely on?

Your Dad also sounds very lonely. You could suggest that he try an online dating site or something, but ultimately he needs to resolve this issue on his own.

Take care!
    basketballlover Posts: 69, Reputation: -3

Dec 7, 2009, 04:00 PM

My mom and dad are divorced so my mom lives a province away. I don't really have any other adults in my life. My uncles are just as bad as my dad.
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 06:02 PM

Maybe you could seek out some adult support outside your family - at school, or friends parents?

Dec 7, 2009, 06:22 PM

Ill try to see what my options are.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 07:30 AM

OP is in law school - I would suggest that he/she ask a law professor for advice and attempt to become emancipated if it is as bad at home as he/she says. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...ve-422602.html

As a side note I don't know why a 15 year old would be judging his/her father's appearance and dating life. I don't think anyone at 54 is ready for pasture and the father may very well find a woman in her 30's who is interested. Reverse this situation - if this were posted by the father about the child everyone would be jumping up and down.

I realize OP is unhappy about the parents' divorce but fail to see why OP is so interested in father's dating life, other than out of loyalty to his/her mother. Reading some of OP's other posts sheds light on this entire topic.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 09:44 AM

OP describes her dad as "54 with a teenage daughter". Unless she skipped several years of school, she's not old enough to be in law school. As I figure it, most people would be at least 21 or 22 when they start law school.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2009, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    OP describes her dad as "54 with a teenage daughter". Unless she skipped several years of school, she's not old enough to be in law school. As I figure it, most people would be at least 21 or 22 when they start law school.

That was exactly my point. Did you read the other thread? "She" (and I wasn't sure if we were talking he or she) has somewhat different info on the various threads.

As far as the age is concerned - I was expected to graduate from high school AND get an undergrad degree before I could enroll in law school. And I sure wasn't 15!
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 01:22 PM

Got it - thanks.

Dec 8, 2009, 01:27 PM

Okay who id op? And I didn't say I was in law school I said I was taking a law class. Class in high school. I am not trying to judge my dad I am just trying to describe him. And yes there may very well be someone who is interested in men 24 years older. I just don't like that fact that he is talking to me about it. My parents divorced 12 years ago and my mom is happily married so it isn't about my mothers loyalty. I don't really care if he dates someone. And quite honestly if you aren't going to say anything nice or comforting why even write a response. I came here to know if it was normal if my father was talking to me about his dating life. Not because I think he shouldn't have one but because he continuously brings it up. Now I'm sorry if I'm being rude but I don't need people judging me without even knowing me. And to clear everything up. I am in high school. Not in law school.

Dec 8, 2009, 01:29 PM

Thank you. Once again I don't mean to be rude I just want to clear everything up with everyone.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Well basketballlover, you need to deal with your father, and his innapropriate conversations with you about his love life, or lack thereof (not sure that's a word). The conversations he has with you, wouldn't be tolerated in the workplace, or appreciated in the checkout line at the grocery store, or during casual conversation at the coffee shop. It is just that much worse when a 15 year old is subject to it.

You cannot clean him up, or stop him from drinking, or set him up or get him motivated to join a club, or sports club. He's 54 years old! He has to be responsible for motivating himself, not living in a dreamworld, and dragging you into it.

Please seek help for yourself in how to deal with his drama. I wish you well, and success in taking more control over your own comfort level.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 04:15 PM

Why can't you go live with your mother? It doesn't sound like your home life is very good. Your father is acting inappropriately by discussing his love life with you.

I think it's time to talk to mom.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Call, or visit, your local Alateen group for some advice, and guidance, as to how to cope with your father, and his drinking.

Welcome to Alateen

Yes his behavior is inappropriate and you need some help to stop it, just because you are embarrassed and uncomfortable with it..

Does your mom know of your problems? Can she help?
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the clarification. OP means "original poster" - the person who started the question.

Your post was inconsistent and sometimes people give misleading information on threads unfortunately, and basically are gaming everyone who's on here to legitimately offer good advice. Nobody means to be unkind or critical but it appeared you were claiming to be a law student (not many high schools offer law courses, after all). Your clarification helps. I hope the ideas that were posted earlier will be of help to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fantasy Novel, modern people sucked into fantasy land [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to remember the title of a book I read once that involved modern people being magically transported to a fantasy land. It starts with a male Truck driver picking up a female hitch-hiker. They both have terrible personal lives and not much to live for. While they are driving down...

Dad's debt [ 1 Answers ]

My dad has credit cards solely in his name. My mom and dad own a house together. Is my mom responsible for his credit card debt? They live in New York.

Series of 4 Fantasy Books, Can't remember Title, Need Fantasy expert! [ 1 Answers ]

ANY FANTASY EXPERT, PLEASE HELP: I was a keen reader when younger and read a series of books ( I am almost certain there were 4) about 4 different children who each had a mastery over a certain element of magic. There was a girl who seemed to use air and stuff, a boy who could grow things and had...

Dad's Truck [ 2 Answers ]

My dad is 78 and unable to drive the truck he bought in 2006. When I went to the dealership to ask about them buying the truck back, their offer was about $3000 below what he still owes. Other than putting it on the market and trying to sell it myself, what other options do I have?

My dad's fever won't go away [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I need help. My dad has had a high fever for about four days now and it won't go away. He already went to the doctor but he won't take the medication. He says his body will just run its course. He's about 53 and in pretty good physical...

View more questions Search