Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaront01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 10:20 AM
    After a Car Accedent, what to do next?
    I am so confused right about what to do in this case.

I was in a car accident yesterday I didn't have car insurance but I do have a drivers license. The other car had insurance, but no Driver License. The cop let us both go with no tickets he got our information and made a report. I didn't get the other drivers' Insurance information. What action should I take now?

The accident is debatable, I was going east on a not so busy street, I was crossing a yellow light at around 35 MPH. The had just turned Yellow and was NOT Red as I continued to cross it. I was hit top left, and the Other Car Top Right. He said it was my fault, I said it was his.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 2, 2009, 10:56 AM

With no other witness and no ticket you have little chance of getting the other guys insurance to pay you a dime, they could even sue you for the damages. Are you sure a driver with no license walked away from the cop with no ticket, that would be very very weird.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 2, 2009, 11:01 AM

You have no insurance? Why is that? (In Illinois it is required, but not where you live?)

Since you have no insurance agent to report to, you have to wait until the other driver's claim adjuster contacts you. You may get a phone call or a letter in the mail. You will probably have to report the facts of the accident as you know them. Write them down now while you remember. (Do not lie!) Also, draw a picture of the intersection and the path both cars were taking at the light, like who was where and had come from where and was going where.

Was the other driver making a left turn and hit you? Were you speeding? If you were still on the yellow light, it sounds like you were in the right going through the light, and the other driver was not where he should be. Check your copy of the police report to see what the officer said. Since you didn't get a ticket, that's a bit in your favor. (Why didn't he issue tickets?? )
    aaront01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the answers,
    Additional Information:
    I'm in the military, so the Police Officer gave me a break, I live in Los Angeles, so Driving without a license is common because there are many illegals here.
    There is a witness that gave me her number and said she would make a statement saying I wasn't at fault. The Officer also gave me a card stating I wasn't under the influence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accedent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have an accident with other party fault now after other part have completed the vehicle inspection they are saying our vehicle was involve in accident before but we know for 100% sure our vehicle was never involve in accedent before now how can I proof to insurance that our vehicle was never...

View more questions Search